Monday 12 July 2010

MONDAY MONDAY




Everyone hates Mondays, have you noticed that there is often a circumstance that makes the day even more miserable, we call it the Monday factor.

Today's fly in the ointment was a hospital appointment for my husband for a gastroscopy, a charming procedure the details of which are to diabolical to mention. To make matters worse the appointment was for three in the afternoon and the poor soul needed to be collected from hospital afterwards, due to the sedative they administer to make the ghastly business more acceptable.

Of course they give you no idea what time you may collect the poor victim, this posed a problem as the time is always difficult on my son's working week. We are unfortunately only too familiar with the vagaries of the NHS. They behave as if they are doing you a huge favour in seeing you at all, and I have yet to meet a consultant who does not behave as if he were Gods gift to the human race instead of behaving like the public servant he actually is. I have more insight into this phenomenon than most as my husband used to run a geriatric hospital many years ago, before administrators became even more numerous than doctors. Even then they were a pain in the glutious maximus.

I decided to make some smooth celery soup in h the hope that this would be acceptable fair for the poor sufferer, and made the days bread as early as possible then made a tray of rocky road as a treat for my son who got very little sleep today and is tired as a consequence.

At 4. 30pm we called the hospital as directed and yes we could collect the patient at once, we were told which room to go to, as it turned out the directions were both incorrect and incomplete. My son eventually found the right place which turned out to be dark and deserted After a wait of twenty minutes or so porter engaged in removing soiled bed linen took pity on my poor boy and went to find someone to assist. A moment later a nurse, a charm school graduate of course appeared and demanded to know what my son was doing loitering about in the dark and why had he not phoned to say he was coming. If the porter had not at that moment arrived with Pa in tow I think my son might well have given her a very large flea in the ear! As it was they left as fast as possible and were returned home via Osterley by a clueless taxi driver. The patient I am glad to report is none the worse for his experience and ate two bowls of soup and some bread and butter followed by a yoghurt.

I am shattered but thankful that all seems well, perhaps we can get back to normality tomorrow unfortunately I have forgotten what normal is!

No comments:

Post a Comment