Monday 26 July 2010

HERE WE GO AGAIN




As usual Monday has not exactly gone according to plan. In the first place my son, who fully intended to stay awake all night to prepare for his nocturnal exertions ended by turning in at about one, he was totally shattered, poor soul. The idea was then for him to sleep as late as possible, this was made impossible by the roar of aircraft heading for Heathrow, it's our turn to have them directly over head and they started earlier than usual today. They woke me at about four this morning and I was distinctly dis-chuffed. I watched the BBC News channel for a while, depressing
tuned in to a vintage Catherine Cookson, my God it was worse than the news for misery and woe, “Enough of this frippery.” I said, dressed and headed down stairs to begin the day. On with the kettle, tea in the pot and while it boiled I greased the bread trays and heated the oven, it was at this point that my bleary eyed boy arrived in the kitchen with a mournful expression and a huge yawn, I promised tea and breakfast as soon as the bread was done. The kitchen is so warm at the moment that bread dough rises quickly so within an hour I had produced two large loaves two baguettes and a batch of small buns and we were sitting down to breakfast. Pa and I had poached eggs and toast and for my son three slices of toasted cheese to give solace in his trouble, Yawny wake ups are not a favourite with any of us

Breakfast over Pa went out to fill up the bird feeders, it,s quite a long job, My son retired to his room to rest and I tackled the dishes before starting to prepare dinner, an easy meal of roast pork with trenchers, jacket wedges salad and dips. After that I had time to make two orange and lavender cakes, one for us and one for the boys next door, they both have a sweet tooth so a cake is always welcome. Afternoon tea was nice as we were all together and I made a pot of Earl Grey, two cups each.

Hot and sticky from baking I put the meat into the oven and headed for the river, I thought I would walk down as it's not far, Well I made it but it showed me how much worse my arthritis
has become since my operation. It was worth it though because although the sky was dull the river was awash with small boats and many different species of water fowl, our part of the river is lovely, it even has an island full of reeds and willows, I never get tired of looking, it is a wonderful spot and we are lucky to live so close to so much beauty.

Pa bought me a bunch of yellow sunflowers for the kitchen and they look wonderful on the table in a big jug, I sow the red ones mostly though I never have the heart to pick them as the birds rely on the seeds later in the year so getting some as a gift was very welcome.

I must say I am looking forward to relaxing this evening and truly I shall feel a lot better when my son is safely asleep tomorrow morning, He is six foot four with a big black beard which gives him a piratical air and yet I worry as much about him now as I did when he was a cute little boy, such is the burden of mother hood and of course its pleasure. I had been told that I was unable to have children so believe me when I say that not a day goes by when I don't count my blessings, particularly the big hairy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment