Sunday 18 July 2010

THE VILLAGE FETE




It was almost the perfect day for the long awaited village fĂȘte, as far as I was concerned it was perfect, a few people however complained about the rather strong breeze that shook the borrowed canvas gazebos and toppled some of the larger dried flower arrangements. It was lovely to meet old friends and indulge in a pint or two of cold beer, but first things first, there were lots of interesting stalls to raid. My favourite is the bric a brac stall, it has every thing from perfume and candles to cuddly toys and mobile phones. They had lots of new toy animals and as I have lots of small relatives and friends with children I bought ten including a very cute Stuart Little and funny puffin. I have not made marmalade this year so I picked up a couple of jars, I know the lady who makes it and her preserves are always excellent. There were some gorgeous soaps and some perfume I could not resist, two silk tray clothes beautifully embroidered and some pretty tea towels,these are for my mother along with a huge brand new jigsaw puzzle of alarming complexity, she loves them, all I can say is rather her than me! I relieved the poor soul at the flower stall of two large silk arrangements in tall glass vases, a bargain at five pounds each, Then picked up a lovely heavy brass front for the open fire in the living room, I have been looking for one for ages.

I met my neighbour buying two large cakes at the produce stall, He told me excitedly that he had just agreed to become a trainee bell ringer, I smiled politely and made no comment, the idea of having one of those noise makers at such close quarters makes me wonder what will happen when my son finds out, perhaps it would be best to say nothing, what do you think?

We had such a good time, except for the new feature of a band who collectively knew about four cords and played Rod Stewart songs very loudly indeed. Fortunately they did not start to play until about three thirty, but by three thirty five my poor son was wide awake and staring in disbelief from his bedroom window. It is a fact that considering it is full of dead people that church yard is one of the noisiest places I know.

Back home in good time to make a meal of omelettes and new bread, I had to make some this morning as we had almost run out, we finished off the key lime pie for afters. Fair day is special, such a happy occasion with lots of excited children. I am afraid I am still one of them, it's just that these days my feet seem to ache afterwards,but its worth it.
I am very sleepy suddenly so I am off to have a bath and then perhaps curl up and watch a film.

I love days like this. Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment