Wednesday 14 July 2010

THE KITCHEN AND THE GARDEN




I was lucky again this morning, tea in bed delivered by my son who once more entertained my waking moments with tales from the crypt! I must say the place sounds as if it belongs in the seven circles of hell, I am not sure which one but I am sure that if Dante had known about the place he would have surely included it.

I packed him off to bed with the promise of herb coated chicken joints, jacket wedges and an assortment of home made dips, this is a great favourite with him and it is a pleasure to me to make a special dinner for him, it cheers him up and any dish with chicken is certain to please him, the fact that we like it too a bonus.

Today was a breadmaking day, this time I made two bloomers and a cottage loaf which although not very practical looks good, the artist in me has its own way now and then. I acquired an unsolicited pineapple last week end, as it is not a favourite with us I was puzzled as to what to do with the wretched thing, You should know it was a monster. As my husband was going into town I asked him to pick up some bananas, a peach of two if ripe and a mango, these with some grapes would, I hoped make am acceptable fruit salad. He returned with a punnet of raspberries(coals to Newcastle), six plums very under ripe, a punnet of eight rock hard bright green peaches, two punnets of cherries,(we are still recovering from the cherry mountain of last week) two decent mangoes and only four bananas...........history shall not record my remarks on this occasion!

Fearing for my blood pressure I fled to the garden and soon all was well with me again. The courgettes are flourishing and I shall be able to cook our favourite pasta dish of penne with tomato, courgettes, basil, and mozzarella cheese, it is a seasonal treat we all love. We only eat courgettes when we have them in the garden, shop bought ones have no real flavour. The marigolds are looking splendid which means marigold buns in the near future. Small fruits have appeared on the pumpkins but a shall not count my chickens as the last two years crops have been disappointing.

Everywhere I looked the were nasturtiums in flower and sweet peas, beans were climbing up the frames and the late peas just coming in to flower, even the old fig tree had a promising array of green fruits which will be welcome, parakeets permitting. I spent a very satisfying half hour gloating over these treasures and then the heavens opened.........hail, followed by rain that fell like silver chains,I fled once more this time fore the safety of the kitchen, and a hot coffee.

The sky has been glowering all day and seems to mean business this time, well the garden needs it except for the hail of course.

I am beginning to get used to the new television, it does a lot of things I have no use for and not many things I need, still I am assured it is a great improvement on the old one so I must accept progress I suppose. What really irritates is the fact that the only way I can turn it off is by using the switch on the side of the set, even an old fogey like me is used to having a remote control to do such things,I am prepared to admit however that I am probably pressing to wrong button or something...we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment