Monday 20 September 2010

BUSY BUSY



I got off to a very early start this morning as I wanted to get the shortbread made and the bread before breakfast which I managed to do with time to spare. I am glad to say that my son managed to stay in bed until half past ten which was better than I had hoped. Pa and I had poached eggs on wholemeal toast for breakfast and my son had three rounds of Cheshire cheese on toast, I often do this on Monday, he loves cheese. After breakfast I packed him off to rest as he has to work tonight and Pa feed the birds while I dug up some leeks and then prepared the leek and potato soup for this evening, it is lovely with new bread and soup is also a Monday favourite with us.
We were visited today by a physiotherapist, not that we needed one you understand be because some clueless idiot at social services made a mistake. What we were expecting and should have been sent was an occupational therapist to assess our needs as regards the stairs and the bath and so forth.
The young man got lost and when he finally arrived he spent half his time telling us that what we really needed was an occupational therapist............we knew that already, and the rest of the time practising his golf swing with Pa,s walking stick. He regaled us with the story of his last two golfing holidays and I was hard pressed to remain civil in the face of this complete waste of time. Thank fully he left before my impatience got the better of me and promised to “fast track “ us through the system so that the correct person could come and assess our needs. He made this statement as one who is conferring a great favour. The other thing about the poor chap was that he was an Ed Milliband look alike and it was this fact alone that drew forth my deepest sympathy, it must be awful for him. When he finally departed Pa and I giggled like school kids for a good half hour and launched into a hilarious critique upon the unfortunate individual and social services in general.
I must say I enjoyed the sunshine today, days such as this are precious at this time of year. I noticed that the beautiful lime tree at the front of our house is beginning to take on the wonderful translucent yellow of Autumn much earlier than usual and the wild dog roses and sweet briar are loaded down with glorious vivid scarlet rose hips. I hope I can find time this week to make some rose hip syrup, it is gorgeous on iced cream in winter and is jolly nice with a shot of vodka too!
We all enjoyed the soup and at the last moment I decided to make an apple and blueberry crumble. I used brown sugar and oatmeal in the crumble as well as butter and flour to make it extra crisp, I did not have time to make custard so we had it with single cream,my favourite and the reason for my hip size. Have a good week one and all and blessings lite upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment