Thursday 9 September 2010

CAUGHT IN THE STORM


I am always the dim wit who believes in the weather forecast, even though I know that my twinging corns and my rheumatism are a much more accurate way to tell if the weather will be good.......or not. Ever the optimist if the forecast says the weather will be fine I always fall for it and today was no exception. Pa and I had poached eggs on toast for breakfast and chatted away over a large pot of tea then he went off to feed the birds and I washed up and then set about finishing the fruit jelly that I beg in a huge bright yellow waterproof poncho and headed for home. Like a miracle the rain suddenly stopped and apart from the deep puddles and the rain pattering down from the trees I made it home without further incident. Pa was getting worried as I had been gone for some time and called me as I rattled down the lane. I had a bunch of flowers for Pa, he loves to have a vase on his desk and there or not many in the garden just now. I had a fur cushion for my son and the brandy and some kippers completed my shopping bag.
After a coffee Pa went on tidying his desk and I went into the kitchen to make some oatcakes as we had finished the last lot. This time I made just four and a half dozen some of which Pa and I ate for dinner with lovely crispy bacon and two eggs each.
My son will be home on Saturday and his room is ready, a freshly made bed is nice to come home to I tan yesterday. The strained liquid amounted to two pints and I set it to boil while I sterilised the jars and lids. Once it was boiling I added two pounds of warm granulated sugar and boiled it again until setting point was reached,then I quickly poured it into the hot jars and popped on the lids. It tasted wonderful and the colour is splendid, I shall certainly use the fruit from liqueur again in this way.
We needed some more brandy for another liqueur so I decided that as it was such a nice day I would nip out to the shops and get a bottle, the ride to the shops was lovely,warm and breezy, a perfect day. I trundled round the supermarket and picked up a few things, then just as I was waiting to go through the check out the heavens opened, It was impossible to see out of the windows as the rain came down like a curtain and it kept on coming. I sat under the supermarket entrance and surveyed the scene, the sky was black all around and so I put the tiller cover on the buggie, shrouded myselfll blanch some apple rings for the freezer and bake a fruit loaf, I am experimenting with a cranberry and walnut loaf which will be lovely for Christmas if I can get the recipe right, I think fresh rather than dried cranberries will be better and of course it will be a while before they are ready so I shall try soaking the dried ones in orange juice over night , who knows,it could work.an yesterday. The strained liquid amounted to two pints and I set it to boil while I sterilised the jars and lids. Once it was boiling I added two pounds of warm granulated sugar and boiled it again until setting point was reached,then I quickly poured it into the hot jars and popped on the lids. It tasted wonderful and the colour is splendid, I shall certainly use the fruit from liqueur again in this way.
hink. I hope to do some gardening tomorrow weather permitting, failing that I shall blanch some apple rings for the freezer and bake a fruit loaf, I am experimenting with a cranberry and walnut loaf which will be lovely for Christmas if I can get the recipe right, I think fresh rather than dried cranberries will be better and of course it will be a while before they are ready so I shall try soaking the dried ones in orange juice over night , who knows,it could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment