Friday 17 September 2010

CLEAN UP, CLEAR UP AND CLEAR OFF




Today was a major cleaning day as we are having a party here tomorrow. An old friend of my son is leaving for America in three days time so we are giving him a farewell party in the afternoon and in the evening there is to be a dinner party at a restaurant in Richmond.

The shopping arrived this morning and unfortunately a large bottle of pear cider had exploded and soaked about half of the groceries, still more unfortunate was the fact that this was not noticed until the bags had been brought into the house and had leaked all over the hall, the carpets and the kitchen floor. I was obliged to wash down packs of kitchen roll. tins of tomato, packs of loo rolls and quite a few other sundries,a pestiferous job which I could well have done without. For this gross inconvenience the delivery man knocked two pounds off the bill for the spilled cider.......I was not amused.

Having washed and dried the cider soaked items we had a breakfast of cheese oatcakes,6 each and they were very welcome as we were all famished. We were also rather sleepy. I had great difficulty getting off to sleep last night and at one thirty I looked at the clock in despair, I must have dropped off soon after because at two fifteen I was awakened by the ringing of my mobile phone. As my favourite uncle is seriously ill after a major stroke I started into wakefulness fearing the worst. I was annoyed to find Pa on the line, he had,God knoweth why, been fiddling about with his mobile and had accidental rung my number,I was livid. My poor son hearing the noise also woke up and came to ask what the trouble was, by the time I had explained and Pa had apologised we were all wide awake and neither my son or myself slept again until about five in the morning. The miscreant of course went straight off to sleep, there is no justice!

After breakfast I set about making a cake for the party

COXIES PARTY CAKE
6ozs softened butter
6ozs caster sugar
6ozs self raising flour
one and a half teaspoons of baking powder
3 eggs

Put all these ingredients into a bowl and mix for three minutes

Then add
1oz finely chopped walnuts
2oz finely chopped glacé cherries
3oz finely grated carrot
half an ounce of black poppy seed
rind of I lemon or orange
1oz angelica finely chopped
Fold into the mixture and then divide between two eight inch greased and lined sandwich tins.
Cook at 360c for thirty minutes.

When the cake is cool mix twelve ozs of icing sugar with eight ozs of softened butter and the rind of an orange or lemon and beat until it is very fluffy and pale. Use a little to sandwich the cake together and spread the rest over the cake and around the sides. Finish the decoration with small orange and lemon slices or chunks of candied pineapple.

When all the work was done I went out for an hour to relax and then we had our evening meal of cooked meats cheeses, pork pie and crusty bread,we had fresh tomatoes and beetroot too only my chicken leg was absent as I mentioned yesterday. The apple and mango jelly was gorgeous and was just right for tonight.

As we are all tired we are having an early night, Pa has been warned what might happen should last nights occurrence be repeated. If it does I might well feature on tomorrow's breakfast news, I jest of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment