Monday 23 April 2012

"APRIL COME SHE WILL"




Throughout the ages poets have written pages extolling the beauty of this month. Chaucer I think began it in England with his “Showers sweet” hmmmm, showers I will allow but sweet?


Flanders and Swan were in my opinion the most accurate in their description of April.

“April brings the sweet spring showers,on and on for hours and hours”! Correct !

Their summing up of the English climate is so accurate that a copy of the words has hung in my garden shed for years and so for all you frustrated gardeners out there battling with a hose pipe ban while being bombarded by half inch hail stones daily here it is.

SONG OF THE WEATHER

January's ice and snow, makes your feet and fingers glow.

February's rain and sleet. freeze the toes right off your feet.

Welcome March with wintry wind, would though were not so unkind.

April brings the sweet spring showers, on and on for hours and hours.

Farmers fear unkindly May, frost by night and hail by day.

June it rains and never stops, thirty days and spoils the crops.

In July the sun is hot. Is it shining? No it's not.

August with its dank and wet, brings nor rain that any yet.

Grim Septembers mist and mud ,is enough to chill the blood.

Then October adds a gale. frost and wind and rain and hail.

Dark Novembers brings the fog,would not do it to a dog.

Freezing wet December then.......Bloody January again!

I consider this a masterpiece of meteorology far more accurate that any weather satellite.

Rheumatic twinges, which happen to be my speciality are also accurate in the prediction of cold weather, particularly where snow and hail are concerned. When towards the end of March I told My son that we Would soon be in the grip of more perishing cold weather he refused to believe my, well the twinges never lie and we have had the garden white over with huge hail stone so often this month that I have lost count.

Corns are I am told reliable but not having any of my own, thank the Gods I cannot verify this. Having said that it is probably true.

Weather prophets down the ages have slaughtered chickens, gazed in to bowls of water or crystal balls. They have scried for hours into mirrors and consulted the runes.

For me you cannot beat rheumatism for cold and wet. Neuralgia for wind and gales and if as I have for the past few weeks been unfortunate enough to have experienced both you will know next time such a thing happens just what to expect.

If there is anyone out there who can prophesy sunshine and dry weather with accuracy by some bodily means perhaps they would like to join me in offering an on line weather forecasting service for farmers and growers , though what we should call ourselves I cannot imagine,any suggestions?

Yet another internet failure has meant that I am late in publishing my blog,this is getting silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment