Friday 6 April 2012

GOOD FRIDAY


Attending a Church of England school meant that at a very young age I was exposed to some very serious religious education Each morning during a half hours assembly we sang two hymns,said our morning prayers and listened to a bible reading done by a different child each day. Tuesday morning was given over to learning new hymns and the memorising of such things as the ten commandments ,the Apostles Creed and each week a new prayer.

One assembly a week was conducted by the Vicar, we dreaded it as he was an old tatare and a firm exponant of the old saying spare the rod and spoil the child.Most if us were frightened in to a knowledge of The Lords prayer before we had been in the infants class for a fortnight!

Every Friday morning we attended our local church which just a few yards from the school and during the hour and a half long service we would show off what we had learned during the week, or not as the case may be, then woe betide the backslider!

Easter Whitsun, Harvest Festival, Christmas came and went with the changing seasons the pattern of which left an indelible mark on us children
Those of us who could sing nicely were at once co-opted into the church choir which of course meant and even greater acquaintance with Hymns Ancient and Modern, to this day I can remember the numbers of a great many hymns.

Strange that all this exposure to Christianity only caused me to question and this was not tolerated by my teachers. I should have been in serious trouble had not my head teacher been and understanding man who persuaded me that I should keep my doubts to myself and not trouble our autocratic vicar with them.

What is strange is that although I have lived my life as a pagan I still love the hymns, the ceremonies and above all the quiet peace of an old church. Long ago I ceased to worry that I could not believe, for me there will be no redemption supposing that I am wrong so be it.
I have lived my life by the code of my ancestors a thing not always easy to do in these times and I have been true to myself and tolerant of others.

It is the One God faiths which are Intolerant of others, they are the cause of much misery while preaching love for our fellow man. In spite of this I do believe that there was a Jesus and that he was a good man and while I cannot believe that he was the son of God For me that only makes his sacrifice more wonderful.

I shall not attend Easter service but in my heart I shall salute the brave man who cared so much for his fellows that he gave his own life to show his love for them.
Human sacrifice ,for this is what Easter is about pre-dates Christianity by many thousands of years and was almost always practised for reasons of salvation weather from angry Gods crop failures or bad weather and many of those sacrificed may have gone willingly to their deaths, I shall remember them also at the rebirth of spring.

Finally whatever God you worship have a happy weekend and whatever you do if you do it with love you will not go far wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment