Saturday 21 April 2012

A BUSY WEEK AT THE CAFE AVIE

There has not been a single day this week when we had not had company for breakfast. Since Monday we have entertained several guests daily and on Wednesday I literally kept an all day breakfast going for the numerous callers from the plumber to our neighbour and all this activity has made our home a cheery place in spite of the dreadful weather.......but.
Just at the moment I am at full stretch,getting my sons togs packed and ready for his holiday next week has been a struggle with all the wet weather and the fact that he would wear his favourite shirt earlier in the week and to go on holiday without it would be unthinkable.

Preparations for the fête not just nine days away are taking up a great deal of my time, not just the baking and the making of banners but the printing of posters the phone calls. And meetings.
Torrential rain has prevented my from getting to the shops and this is now becoming a great problem as I need some of the items for the fête and am almost out of butter. I had meant to go today but a great hail storm at the wrong moment prevented it. Actually I had planned to go early this morning while the sun shone but an unexpected breakfast guest meant that I made a cooked meal instead of the cereal Pa and I had intended to have today.
Our guest had some wonderful news, after a year of worry his health has been given an all clear,a celebration breakfast was exactly what was needed. By the time our guest had left I had the bread and two tray bakes to make and as I was beginning to get ahead again a telephone call threw me back in to chaos. It seems that the Estate manager has asked to visit our house to see the proposed work.

Now I an not at all sure what it is he expects to see as of course there is at the moment nothing but the plans which he already has, add to that the fact that he knows the house as well as I do and it is rather a puzzling request. Never the less I know have both the estate manager and our nice social worker coming to see me at noon on Tuesday next. Mountains of baking still remain to be done for the fête plus all the garden furniture needs a good scrub before it is co-opted to be used as stalls on the day.
Murphy seems to be at it again, for as my son will be away next week until the evening before the fête all of the outstanding jobs will have to be done by yours truly and I swear to God that the tick of the clock gets louder every day. Never mind old girl I said to myself, take another dose of Sertraline and hope for the best, what else is there to do?
During a short lull in the storm its afternoon I hared off to the corner shop and picked up a job lot of paper plates and paper cups for the fête and grabbed several rolls of baking parchment, believe it or not I managed to get home without a soaking to my everlasting amazement.
Tomorrow come hell or high water( which is distinctly possible) I absolutely MUST iron and pack my sons clothes for his holiday, everything else will have to go to blazes until the job is done.

Every one felt like bacon and eggs for dinner thank the Gods as I had not time to prepare anything, I fried some big horse mushrooms on little butter and made a hot tomato sauce and some grilled cheese to serve with this and the new bread helped to make it a delicious and very quick meal.

Our internet access is still intermittent and I have not been able to get on line at all today, this is unfortunate as have some urgent emails to attend to . Oh well what can not be cured and all that, I think its time for a very very large G and T.



No comments:

Post a Comment