Monday 2 April 2012

THE MORNING AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE


By and large last night went very well,the was however just one slight hitch, several hours after I had taken my weary bones off to bed a member of the party was violently sick on the turning at the top of the stairs. While I cannot pretend to have been pleased about the occurrence it must be said that in all the years that these chaps have been holding their celebrations here such a thing has never happened before.

I blame the dreadful bottle of English whisky of which I drank a tiny amount, even so the taste of fence paint remained with me for the whole of the evening, it was not to put too fine point upon it bloody awful. Having put the unfortunate soul in a taxi I set about removing the evidence the details of which I shall not trouble you with except to say that until last night I had no idea what the phrase”blowing chunks” meant!

My son, sober as a judge in spite of having consumed a good deal of vodka cleared the kitchen and left it spotless,while he made us all a well earned cup of coffee I lit an incense stick in every room which helped considerably. Bed sounded like a good idea but I hardly slept at all and in the morning when we swapped notes it appeared that no one had slept well, even the cat looked decidedly seedy when I took Pa a cup of coffee at eight.

I opened all the doors and windows and set about making the days bread after which we breakfasted on pancakes and lemon. With the house now smelling of fresh bread and French coffee things improved and my son went off to rest, Pa went off to hospital and Twiggy and I strolled out in to the garden taking with us a tray of tea and a bowl of milk. Twiggy is a hospitable soul and loves to share in anything I happen to be doing, a trait she learned from our lovely old tabby cat Thomas.

Damson blossom fluttered down on the breeze like confetti and apart form its beauty I was glad to see it as this means that the fruit has set before the promised Easter frost arrives. Light of heart now I went back in to the house to prepare a lasagne for dinner making some extra Bechamel sauce for Wednesdays hollandaise after which I washed my hair.

April came in almost unnoticed this year and it was not until this morning that I remembered to turn the page on my bedroom calender ,it is true that April can be a cruel month as T.S Elliot said and yet it is the herald of so much beauty that I am always glad when March is gone. Within a few short weeks my small world will be at its best, full of flowers and fledgling birds, fox cubs and baby hedgehogs, and oh how I love this place which holds such wonders.

Mankind is a tiny part of this beautiful world we inhabit and I hope with all my heart that he will realise what he stands to lose if he continues on his present course, before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment