Tuesday 24 April 2012

MERDE LE PLUIE


As yet another day of almost continuous rain comes to a soggy close I am forced to wonder about the fate of our forth coming fête. I continue with the baking almost as an act of faith but as each passing day makes the ground more and more soggy and the puddles larger I begin to wonder if perhaps we should postpone the event until the weather is a little more propitious.


Telephoning from Marlborough my son informed me that the weather in Wiltshire was every bit as inclement as it is hereabouts and that he intended to spend the day in the art galleries and antique shops of Hungerford.

Pa and I had an early breakfast as we were expecting a visit from the estate manager and the project manager concerning our new bath room and the stair lift. Nothing now stands in the way of the work being carried out but the signature of the estate manager on the document giving the OK for the work to go ahead,fingers crossed. Apparently the work will take around two weeks to complete and during that time we shall be without a bath so the atmosphere around here could get a little funky, we shall however not be left with out a lavatory ,for which relief much thanks!

Yesterday my birthday present form the boys arrived in the shape of a beautiful cream upholstered tub chair for my bedroom,my old easy chair was very heavy and I found it impossible to move. Lighter and more comfortable the new chair looks very much at home in my room and one day I might even sit on it.....if the cat can be persuaded to move!

More baking today, treacle oaties for the fête and some for Pa as they are a particular favourite of his. This mornings early start has left him sleepy and for most of the afternoon he slept on the sofa, poor old boy. Our internet connection is still intermittent and is the cause of much annoyance, missed meetings and important messages are giving me a headache and I have informed my friends and others to telephone if they need and immediate response from me. Now of course I have a red hot telephone...hey ho.

Casting further gloom over an already gloomy day was the long range weather forecast predicting that May would be even wetter than April,charming. June and July we are told will be “barbecue weather” now where have I heard that before?

No comments:

Post a Comment