Saturday 28 April 2012

CRASH ,BANG,WALLOP!!!!!



After a noisy night of wind blow dustbins, rattling rain and creaking tree branches the early morning light found me tired and rather chilly, grabbing my spare blanket I pulled it up to my chin, cuddled down in to the snug feather bed and thankfully at last drifted off to sleep.


Crashes and bangs of alarming volume and proximity woke me again at nine,I had over slept. Wrapping myself in my pink blanket I opened the curtains upon yet another blustery grey April day, the difference today was the huge lorry complete with grab which was parked directly outside out house. By the time the lorry and it's occupants departed an hour or so later the hole outside the house was much bigger,and so it remained leaving us still marooned!

While the storm raged without Pa and I breakfasted on hot buttered crumpets and muffins with honey complete with a large pot of strong tea. Over our meal we discussed how to get Pa to his hospital appointment and although a taxi was decided upon we were fortunate in that our neighbours newly returned from a short break kindly moved the two heavy cones and the barrier and with a little help Pa was able to get out of the gate. Normally the hospital is about five or ten minutes away by buggy but because he had to go around the long way it became a journey of over a mile and took almost an hour each way! Bummer!

With Pa safely off I turned my attention to Th making of a pair of luscious lemon drizzle cakes for the fĂȘte and I had just put them in the oven when a particularly violent gust of wind followed by a crashing sound sent me hurrying to the window just in time to see my green house blown to bits. I imagine that the a small hole caused by flying debris had damaged it and once the wind had a way in the whole thing explode. Double bummer!
Inside the greenhouse, apart from my lettuces are the fifty precious geranium plants earmarked for the fĂȘte, I hurried out into the garden but the violence of the gale and my own uncertain footing drove me back indoors having accomplished nothing by way of repair.

Deciding that the geraniums would have to take their chances I took the perfect cakes (thank the Gods that something went right today) out of the oven, pricked them all over and spooned on the sugared lemon juice, the small was heavenly. Crashing noises were a worry for the next half hour and as I washed the dishes the kitchen door blew open with a terrific bang leaving both myself and my little cat rather shaken. I shut the door and bolted it firmly, wished my son was at home and got on with the dishes.

Pa returned at four and I left at once for the supermarket to pick up some fresh fruit and cheeses,a pair of wellies (they had none to fit my large feet) and a few more packs of bacon for Sunday,it was six before I arrived home.

While I was out the wind had wrecked further havoc both in the lane and about the house,branches and twigs littered the pavement and pathways making my passage on the scooter very tricky indeed.

With the shopping stowed away I prepared a dinner of seared pork fillet with baby onions, potato and celeriac croquettes made from yesterdays left overs, asparagus mange tout and red wine gravy wishing all the time that I had chosen a less complicated meal.

Actually it did not take too long to do and was lovely in to the bargain.

Evening has brought a very slight drop in the strength of the wind and I hope to goodness that it stays dropped although I an not sanguine on tat point. Pa and I are preparing for a another wild night of storms and loud noises. Twiggy has called it a day and is sitting on the step prior to going off to my sons room to roost for the night. Where ever you are I hope you have a calm and peaceful night,failing that the right sort of wild!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment