Saturday 4 August 2012

AAAAAAAAAARRGH !






Damn me for the fool that I am,damn and double damn!


I stupidly gave my repeat prescription to Pa after I had collected it on Thursday as he was to take it to the pharmacy for me first thing on Friday morning; pa being Pa he forgot.

This morning he set out to the pharmacy only to return half an hour later to ask me where the prescription was?

Curse me for a blithering idiot! Why did I leave it in his care? It was I suppose the triumph of faith over experience as this is the third time in a row that he has managed to mislay this important document.

He searched, I searched, we both searched every place that it could be a dozen times and the we search all the places that it could not possibly be over and over again.

In total I spent over an hour on this bootless project and as I was turning out my desk(where I knew it wasn't for the umpteenth time, he found it, stuck he said on the top of the refrigerator.

How did it arrive in that unlikely location? Your guess is as good as mine but by the time he left for the pharmacy again I was practically gibbering!

Over the years this performance of mislaying things at vital moments has been Pa's party piece and as I age I find his lackadaisical attitude more and more frustrating.

I cannot count how many times Pa and I have come to the end of a lovely meal on a special night out and when the time arrives to pay the bill …..here we go.....the frantic searching of his pockets begins.

He empties everything out on to the table trawling through the detritus muttering “I know I have it here somewhere”I have sat dying with excruciating embarrassment so often I have forgotten exactly how many times Pa has done this. Eventually of course he always found the damn thing but that is beside the point; the evening was always ruined!

I solved the problem eventually by refusing to go out to dinner with hi, ever again!

God help me, the number of times we have gone through the check out at the super market , the girl on the till announces the exorbitant sum we have manage to spend and of he goes.

Searching his pockets, my hand bag, scrabbling around in a mass of old receipts like a demented chicken scratching about for a worm. Only after an age of cringing embarrassment suffered while other shoppers tut tutted did he find the wretched thing in and obscure pocket of his jacket. I no longer take him shopping....ever!

Once we set off on A holiday to Pembrokeshire and half way their the car broke down.
Guess who had not remembered to pick up his A.A card? Got it in one.

That sorted while we waited for a tow home I was on the telephone arranging for a hire car to be delivered to our home so that we could set out again leaving our own car safely at the garage.

No problem I caught the car hire firm just as they were closing and they kindly agreed to deliver the car to our house where we would meet them, I paid over the phone with my own credit card.......yes we used them in those days... the went back in triumph to Pa and my son to tell them that I had saved the day. Pa seemed a little distant but we were half way home before he admitted that he did not have his driving licence on him, and in fact had no idea where it was,

Now you should know that I always asked him before the start of a journey to make sure he had this vital document. All the way home I was frantic and when we arrived at four in the afternoon we spent the next two hours tearing the house apart in trying to find the blessed thing............... We found it........in Pa's wallet where it had been the whole time stuck behind an old train ticket.

Hungry, drained and totally exhausted we set out for Pembrokeshire again at six thirty in the evening and although it was fun chasing the sun set all the way to the Bristol channel I was smouldering with a rage so severe that it took half a bottle of vodka to calm me down .

So why do I trust him with my prescription? Insanity I should think!

During the course of this week alone he has lost t the insurance certificate for the scooters and several appointment cards for hospital, by set of screwdrivers and a ball of blue tack.

Does he do it deliberately? Do you know that after forty years of marriage I cannot tell, BUT; should I ever be able to prove that he does,his end will be swift and my sentence a long one!



No comments:

Post a Comment