Friday 10 August 2012

BUSY IN THE KITCHEN ,LAZY BY THE RIVER





I needed and early start this morning as there was the bread to bake before breakfast, and today we were entertaining.


Granary bread was requested ,which happens to be my favourite and today's requirements consisted of two split tin loaves three baguettes and a bloomer which I rolled in sunflower kernels,;the later to be eaten tomorrow with ham and cheese omelettes for dinner.



The loaves had just gone in to the oven as our breakfast guest arrived for a feast of pancakes and lemon,I love making pancakes and there are so many things to do with any left overs.

We have become quite famous for our varies breakfast menu and we have many guests these days.

Our guest today was an old friend who often takes breakfast or afternoon tea in out kitchen, he and his wife have been so very kind and helpful to us over the years that we have a special arrangement that if he is working close by he eats with us. He is such fun, a mine of amusing stories and exactly the sort of company Pa needs,so these two chatted and laughed like school boys while I kept their plates full and their tea cups brimming.



Twelve noon saw the washing up done and the jam pan bubbling away merrily and full of the blackberry and apple juice I made yesterday,this glorious confection will grace the Christmas table as an accompaniment to cold ham,turkey and game. Many jars will find their way in to the store cupboards of friends as a jar of something home made make a great Christmas gift and is always liked.



By the time the jelly was made and the kitchen,which was smeared with red jelly had been cleared I was very tired and hot ,but still having the beef burgers to make I pressed on.

I have ,I believe given this recipe before so suffice it to say that once the six juicy little patties were ensconced in the refrigerator I decided to escape for an hour so off I went.



Footling about on the scooter with no where particular to go is an unusual occupation ,so that on the odd occasion that it happens I make the most of the chance.

Trundling along the river bank,watching the water-birds, cormorants fishing off the head of the island and hanging their wings out to dry in the sun.

Silly geese rolling over and over in the water as they bathed and fish rising to snap up the dancing insects on the surface of the water.



Finding a quiet place in London can be tricky but I have, over the years discovered a few lonely spots and it is to these that I fly when ever I have the opportunity. Time to be quite is rare for me as is time to just sit and gaze at the river and I always feel the better for it.



Home to dinner and the arrival of my new boots,,a gorgeous pair of “Blowfish”denim ankle boots, brand new which I acquired for just sixteen pounds, a terrific bargain as the next cheapest price for these boots was forty five pounds.



Dinner was a success and the boots a perfect fit and for me it was almost the end of a perfect day,a day of renewed friend ship, a day on which I felt that I had accomplished all that I had set out to do and the arrival of the boots crowned the evening.



My only worry is my son who will I hope soon be leaving his slave driver of an employer,for me it cannot be too soon...........................!

No comments:

Post a Comment