Sunday 12 August 2012

Time for a change





Pa's room,as I may have mentioned before is never tidy,and as I am sure I have mentioned before this is exacerbated by the fact that Pa is a hoarder. Left to his own devices he would have the room stacked from floor to ceiling with railway magazines, memorabilia and model railway parts.




Pa's model railway operates on the Robert Louis Stevenson principle “it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.” It has been under construction for over thirty years and so far all that has run on the track are spiders,and plenty of them. Pa's railway is rather like a government project in that it costs a fortune and may never be finished



Now anyone will tell you that I am a patient soul so far as Pa's little weakness is concerned but the amount of tat stuck about in any available corner or crevice has reached such a proportion that we are literally reduced to a corridor to walk through when entering his room and I and certain that the fire risk would be sufficient to void our insurance should the worst befall.



My son and I made a start,you will remember last June since when the accumulation has increased alarmingly. Today with the riot act read I set about tackling this mass of trash,this may sound harsh but really I want to make Pa as comfortable as possible so in order to do this space needed to be made.



With the room striped and the cupboards and shelves emptied I set about rearranging the furniture which was to test my cure for arachnophobia to the utmost. Behind the Railway cabinet I discovered the fairest crop of spiders I have ever encountered,huge, hairy and bloody annoyed at have been disturbed. Rash fool that I am I had, due to the heat of the day elected to work in a long flowing kaftan,as the dark corners were exposed to sunlight for the first time in ages the whole tribe made a dash for my trailing skirt;it was like watching the tide coming in!



Horrified I was about to flee the scene when I remembered my talisman and instead I carefully swept them in to a dustpan and evicted the whole kit and caboodle!



It will ,of course take a day or two to complete the job but the room now looks light and airy and more spacious. I have ordered a lovely screen for Pa to put around his bed for a touch of luxury and with soft chair,cushions and a variety of lighting he will be snug this coming autumn.




Of course Pa will never keep the room nice without an occasional boot up the backside but the poor old love deserves a bit of comfort.....weather he wants it or not!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment