Saturday 25 August 2012

STORM





Quite out of the blue this afternoon we were visited by a terrific thunder storm. I had risen rather later than usual and after bread making and breakfast I busied myself with the baking of a batch of wholemeal shortbread. Pa ,who does not often express a preference asked this morning most particularly for this version of and old favourite and so of course I was happy to oblige.


Pa had just popped out to the pharmacy when the rain began,gentle at first ,but by the time he returned it was raining in good earnest and the first faint rumblings had begun. Darkness fell and we put on the lights and made coffee which we drank in the kitchen with the wonderful smell of shortbread wafting from the oven.

Lightning flashes increased both in number and intensity and we counted the seconds between the flash and the bang until at last the storm was directly overhead and the brilliant blue bursts of electricity and the deep rending peals of thunder came together. By this time the rain was torrential,running down the garden path and through the small gate at the side of the house like a stream,the yard at the rear of the house began to fill with water too!

We drank another coffee and ate some warm short bread, Pa was waiting for a lull in the rain in order to feed the garden birds and I had intended to take a short trip to the garden centre. I decided to label some pickle jars while I waited, Pa leafed through an old recipe book and several small birds decided to come in out of the rain.

I always leave the back door open when I cook as our kitchen gets rather hot, in hopped a couple of young robins and an adult, there were a few crumbs on the floor and they made the most of their chance hopping around the kitchen to find them.

Once the thunder had passed the rain continued,a littler more gently.
By the time I set about preparing our evening meal the storm was past,my son, having slept little throughout the storm appeared looking frowsty and sleepy, He soon cheered up when presented with a meal of bacon eggs,cheese oatcakes,mushrooms and tomatoes, all cooked on the griddle..lovely.

Shortly after dinner the storm began again as violent and every bit as wet as before,much to Twiggy's disgust,my son who will be very wet by the time he reaches the station is equally dispirited.

Perhaps the storm will cool things down a little as we have been finding things rather too sticky for our liking,at least I am looking forward to a cooler night and a little more sleep than usual.

I do love a good thunder storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment