Sunday 26 August 2012

ONLY WORDS





If there is one thing I find annoying it is the gradual decrease in the correct use of English which has for some time been creeping in to the B.B.C. And while I am certain that I am guilty of transgressions of my own I do feel that presenters of serious programmes such as the news ought to set a standard in the correct use of language.


Of course I am not referring to the dreadful clipped,received pronunciation of the fifties and early sixties,but, may we at least use the correct words in the correct places.

For instance,one of the male Breakfast News presenters has a habit of saying”I 'm sat here” when he should say”I am sitting here”. I'm sat here sounds more like Nellie Pledge in Nearest and Dearest than a serious news programme.

This morning we were informed that Wayne Rooney would be unable to play for the next month or so due to ,and I quote”a nasty gash on his leg.” This sounds far more like a”please excuse my son from sport” sick note than a news announcement. I suppose that we should be grateful that Mr Rooney did not have a “stummercake” as well!

All this ,might seem like nit picking yet with all the text speak and computer speak there really should be a place for the correct use of the most wonderful language in the world. While browsing on you tube last night I watched an interesting video clip and decided to make a comment. After attempting to translate the remarks of other viewers I refrained from doing so on the grounds that the recipient would probably not understand a word I wrote!

Punctuation and grammar seem to be obsolete in these times and indeed my own recollection of the correct usage has become hazy over time. I recently heard an English teacher commenting upon the recent exam results who insisted that it was a waste of time to teach grammar in school today,since anything I have to say in answer to that ridiculous remark would be extremely rude I shall refrain from comment.

Totally inexplicable to me is the tendency to prefix every thing with the word SO. “You,re SO Money Super Market” for example,or as a female colleague of Nellie Pledge said recently “it was SO fun.” Did she mean that it was so much fun? Perhaps she meant that it was, So funny? Who can say? To speak in such a way makes no sense.

“I'm so hungry.” or !I so want to pee.”is understandable but I am So sorry to say that this latest stupid trend is driving me SO NUTS! How stupid is that? How cool is that? How fun is that?

How ridiculous it is to use a question every time you speak,and yet this habit too has drifted down to the news room,how pathetic is that? They are so silly geese!

No comments:

Post a Comment