Wednesday 8 August 2012

THE PRICE OF FREEDOM





Today the price turned out to be a very late evening meal and the reason for this strange occurrence? I was gallivanting about in the lanes and by the canal picking blackberries, chatting to bargemen and, oh joy, watching rabbits playing on the pathways and among the bushes.




Magical does not do justice to the wonder of just rambling about in the comparative countryside among the water birds and small creatures who inhabit these rare and precious places. On my travel I passed a canal boat named “piper at the gates of dawn” it could not have been more in keeping with the strange calm and the mystical wonder of the place.



The further I rambled the fewer people I encountered and soon I was quite alone ,this is when the rabbits appeared on a grassy rise just in front of me as I rounded a bend. I have not encountered a rabbit for many years,well not a live one ; and my surprise and complete happiness almost made me forget my camera, which for once I had with me.

The bunnies posed prettily and showed little fear, I was entranced.



Blackberries had been my excuse for a run and so I set about picking some of the largest ,ripest beauties I have seen since I left my Northern home. These with some apples will make a delicious jelly to accompany our cold meats or to add to winter stews. But,oh dear, I quite forgot the time.



I had made white bread in the morning especially as I was also making Cawl for dinner and white bread does go well with this dish. Next we had a visitor for breakfast and then....hip.hip. Hoorah. My scooter arrived back from the repair shop after an absence of six weeks Blackberies

The identical moment that the chores were done I grabbed my coat and camera, a few bags for the blackberries and off I went.



Never mind the thundery sky, bother the ironing and to blazes with cooking ,the day was mine and I found the freedom heady stuff.



So to shorten a long story I was over two hours late in beginning preparations for dinner,and further more I did not give a damn. My head and my heart were full of the lovely new places I had visited. A country park the existence of which I was in complete ignorance until stumbled across an over grown sing which I followed. So much to see I could not go back and kept promising myself that I would turn around at the next bend in the lane.



Oh, but at the next bend were moor hen chicks and  coots with young and I could just make out an old bridge which of course I must see. Finally, of course, I had to turn and return home.....late



Both the boys were understanding and I finally got the meal on the table at seven thirty,instead of five fifteen! The as my son needed to be leaving for work I was obliged to do the evening chores by myself ,and tidy the kitchen, and sort through the laundry ,as Pa was taking his bath.



Was it worth it? Oh yes, yes,yes, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment