Tuesday 21 August 2012

SWIMMING THROUGH TREACLE !





What a day! No sleep again last night and a bad attack of the Brentford Boogie in to the bargain,which kept me awake until five this morning. My son arrived home from work and found me spark out,bless the boy he made coffee and toast but I was hard pressed to stay awake long enough to eat it.


I did not surface again until eleven and when I did it was on very wobbly legs and with a splitting headache. Pa had been up for a while and was hungry so I made a quick breakfast of hot buttered crumpets and then began to work my way through the days chores.

Having been informed by my son that he had on has last t shirt I decided that I really must tackle the ironing, I found the laundry basket full of unironed t shirts which came as no surprise. Thankfully the day was cooler and I managed to get through a good half of the load before I caved in and left the rest for another day.

Much time was spent preparing dinner as I had promised the boys a special fish dish. For Pa and I pan fried salmon,rosti,sliced runner beans and home ad Hollandaise sauce, for my son herb and crumb crusted cod with rosti. runner beans and a spiced tomato sauce.

Since I was taking the trouble to make Hollandaise,which I love I made a double amount so that I can make eggs Benedict for tomorrows breakfast. Dinner was well received and only slightly marred by the salmon being smoked and although my son does not like fish the cod was cooked to suit his taste and so it went down well.

Four egg yolks for the Hollandaise meant that there were four egg whites sitting in a bowl and so Pavlova seemed the obvious answer , I quickly popped one in the oven and then went out to pick fruit.

By dinner time I was exhausted and very glad that I had done all the prep for the meal earlier. I decided that in light of my late attack of the you know what,s that it would be wise to decorate the pavilion with something other than fruit and served it instead with a large scoop of chocolate iced cream and fresh whipped cream............we ate the lot!..

On shaking legs I staggered to the stair lift and almost wept with gratitude as I travelled slowly up the stairs. Now as I sit at my desk all is quiet for the moment ,all but the summer sound of the water spinner giving a much needed drink to my pumpkins and squashes.

Tonight I must try to sleep, or at least not to prowl about as is my usual custom, I feel very wobbly but the feeling will,I hope ,be gone by morning. Today has felt like a battle ,like attempting to swim in a pool full of treacle and just staying on my feet has been a challenge,but now I can take a warm shower and relax for a while,before ,I hope sleeping soundly for once.









No comments:

Post a Comment