Friday 31 August 2012

AFTERMATH






Yesterday,s hectic pace took it's toll and this morning I overslept.....really overslept. My son and I were to have got up early ,grab a slice of toast and the hit the shops running in order to be back home for brunch at about eleven. It was past nine before I stirred and I was the first to wake.


In blind panic I put the kettle on for coffee resurrected my son then headed for the bathroom but was arrested in mid flight by a pounding on the door. I made a dash for the stairs....my son made a dash for the stairs and there was an unseemly altercation as the frantic pounding continued. My son,dressed in nothing but a pair of snazzy boxer shorts opened the door as I ,dressed in a long nighty and feeling overdressed arrived a few moments later.

We had been expecting a delivery of fresh meat from our butcher in Yorkshire....but not until lunch time. Well here it was and the deliveryman,who is a sweetie and always brings it in for us pushed past my son ;with a srtaiter face than I could muster and deposited the large insulated box in the kitchen. We exchanged news and I told him that I would see him again quite soon as the beef and game were coming separately

.He has been delivering our meat for so long that we have become friends,I gave him a jar of our Christmas chutney and told him that the next time he came the damson jam would be ready. My son reappeared fully clothed and our visitor left soon after.

Before I could leave for the shop I now had to unpack the meat and bag it ready for the freezers,most of it does come ready packed but the bulk order of chicken breasts ,minced steak and chops has to be re-packaged in smaller quantities.

On one memorable occasion the meat arrived while I was out and was put away by Pa who then forgot to mention that it had arrived. Late in the afternoon when I said I would call to see why it had not arrived he remembered to tell me,b which time I was obliged to take a hammer and chisel to two dozen chicken breast before I could bag them as they were almost frozen solid........as was ten pounds of steak mince,five pounds of pork mince and a five pound bag of steak and kidney. Did I curse? You bet your life I did!

At last we were off and I have to tell you that we whizzed around the supermarket like a dose of salts and headed for home famished.

After hurriedly stuffing the groceries and dry goods in to cupboards I made a mountain of hot bacon rolls and Lord did we stuff? The remainder of the afternoon was spent doing all the chores neglected yesterday as I did battle over the churchyard, it was well that we had eaten a full brunch as dinner was still no where to be seen at seven.

I quickly put together a baked pasta dish using the left over ham from Thursday,leeks, and cream cheese,this hot dish topped with buttered breadcrumbs proved to be a winner served with salad.

I staggered up to my room and collapsed in a heap, from all directions the exhausted groans of the boys reached my ears so I made coffee upstairs for all before taking a well earned shower.

The trouble is that I am still behind, with the chores,the bread, which I should have made on Thursday will; have to be made tomorrow as will the weeks cookie supply(Pa's biscuit tin is empty,there’s the ironing to do, a plant list of waterside wild flowers is urgently needed by one of our members............Oh bugger it!!!!! As my old Granny used to say “What don't get done will just have to get left.” I associate myself with that sentiment 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment