Tuesday 27 August 2013

MOTH IN MOURNING





Ever since he departed for a holiday yesterday morning my sons little calico cat Moth has not ceased to grieve. She spent yesterday gazing out of the window with big,sad eyes,and when by night fall he had not returned she became desperately unhappy.

I tried everything and eventually she did eat a pouch of horribly expensive cat food,I could have purchased a black truffle for the price of a box of the stuff !
During the night she went in to my sons room and rummaged about so much that the place looked this morning as if a jealous girlfriend has trashed the place. Clothes on the floor,soon rather tattered,books scattered about and all manner of small items tossed about.

I tided up and by the time I had finished Moth was asleep on my armchair looking as if “butter wouldn't melt”. She is behaving as if she were in mourning and is inconsolable. Years ago we had a lovely old Collie dog and when he was about ten we were given a tiny Labrador German Shepherd cross bitch.
Her mother had been run over and as the pup was less than a month old I had to bottle feed the little mite,but it was the old Collie who really save her life for he took the little mite to his own basket and kept her warm and clean,and as she grew up he would play fight with her ever so gently. It will come as no surprise when I tell you that they became inseparable friends, they truly adored each other,it was a lovely thing to see them together.

When the dear old Collie died a few days shy of his twentieth birthday, his companion Rosie refused food, and lay silent on the hearth rug,only going out of doors when absolutely necessary.
She died very soon after,I am sure her heart was broken,and so was mine.


Animals have feelings, and anyone who says the contrary is a fool! Thank the Gods my son will be home on Friday,for if anything should go amiss with his beloved cat I would hate to be the one to break the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment