Wednesday 28 August 2013

WHERE IS THE SANDMAN WHEN I WANT HIM?





Remember when you were a child,the strange sensation of having sand in your eyes when you became especially if you were trying desperately to pretend you were not. When the happened to me my mother would tell me that it was the Sand man, come to help me fall asleep. I never craved his presence then but now I would give much for a visit from the gentleman as I have not slept for more than a few minutes at a time for ages it seems.

I finally gave up this morning at three thirty ,made some coffee and had an early breakfast of fresh fruit while the rest of the village slept on. My little cat was delighted with this turn of events and took the opportunity to illicit from me a long session of fur stroking followed by an early bowl of milk,I was glad of the company.

During today I have been very tired,sleepy even and yes, my eyes felt as if they were full of grit; it would appear that the Sandman needs to get his watch fixed! I had planned to strim the orchard this afternoon but lacked the energy to do so and I was glad when a visit from and old friend gave me the excuse to abandon my gardening plans in favour of serving tea and short bread to our guest.

During tea the man came to finish to job on our drains and very welcome he was,now instead of what was virtually an open sewer outside my kitchen window we have a neat grid with a trap to prevent smells and a cover to stop leaves from falling in and causing a blockage. I confess to a small glow of triumph over this as it has taken me over twelve years to convince the Estate manager that it was and open sewer,not just an ordinary drain. One up to me......at last.

For dinner tonight I prepared a favourite dish of Pa's, broad beans served with crispy bacon and parsley sauce. This is another meal which my son dislikes and so we are making the most of his absence to eat all the things we like. Tomorrow I shall buy some fresh trout for dinner,this with some new potatoes,beans from the garden and a horseradish and lemon cream sauce will be our last treat before my son returns. He has requested Cumberland sausage rings with mashed potato, carrots and onion sauce,I shall of course oblige.

Now I face another sleepless night and have decided not to go to bed, instead I shall set up my camera for night shots and wait for the owls , badgers, hedgehogs and other night creatures to visit our orchard. O one of my windows opens on to the orchard and has a window seat which will be perfect for me. I shall make a flask of hot chocolate, grab a few cookies and then the cat and I will wait upon events.

Meanwhile ,if you should encounter the Sandman please remind him that he has not visited Avies small and sleepless world for far too long!”



No comments:

Post a Comment