Tuesday 17 September 2013

JAM TODAY





This years jam making season has been fraught with difficulties,not least my increasing infirmity,however the real trouble was in having the kitchen virtually out of action for the better part of a month while the faulty cooker and the defunct work surfaces were being replaced.
Since then I have been playing catchup as the fruit ripened quickly.

Then there was the jam jar shortage which held up proceedings for a week or so,all in all it has been a troublesome business all round, and yet I would not give up the pleasure and satisfaction of having my store cupboards full of home made goodies for the world.

Yesterday I had set a large jelly bag of apple and elderberry to drip overnight into a bowl and this morning I had five and a half pints of delicious clear juice. With twenty assorted size jars in the oven to sterilise and the lids immersed in boiling water I brought the juice to the boil,added five and a half pounds of sugar and soon I had a total of nineteen jars of glorious deep red jelly cooling on the worktop.

Of course much of this will be given as Christmas gifts to friends and the tradespeople who look after us so well all the year round, grocery delivery men who always bring the goods in to the kitchen,the drivers who deliver such things as meat, books and clothing ordered on line. Some of these have been coming here for so long that they have become friends and It is so nice to be able to give them a treat.

My Christmas chutney is one of the most popular so that not making it is unthinkable ,and besides we love it too. Now is the time to make the Christmas Chutney,in fact most chutneys benefit from about three months maturing time,I shall make mine this week ,I hope,that lovely task ,together with the blanching of apple rings and beans will keep me busy for the rest of the week.

On Friday I have an appointment with my G.P. I hope that he will sanction some extra pain relief as lately I have been obliged to take the stuff more often in order to keep going during the day.

Soon,we hope ,Pa will have his knee replacement and once he is recovered and can manage a little without me I shall ,with luck have my own knee replacement operation. It is odd really,as I was booked to have surgery before Pa's knee began to disintegrate. Pa has rheumatoid arthritis where as I have Osteo Arthritis, the type he has is more aggressive and he is much worse than I am at this time.

In the mean time our cupboards are looking well stocked and we are looking forward to a snug and hopefully peaceful winter. My son writing in his book cave with his adored cat for company. Pa hopefully feeling better after his surgery and as for me, I shall be where I love to be,in my kitchen cooking up a series of winter treats and preparing for the feast days and festivals to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment