Thursday 26 September 2013

Who's mad?

After a wretched night when,because of a fasting blood test this morning I was not allowed any coffee or tea and nothing to eat of course ,I was glad when the time came to keep my appointment with the needle. My original appointment was for nine fifty,then yesterday afternoon I received a call from the surgery to tell me that my appointment time had been changed to nine thirty....no problem...I thought!

This morning I arrived at nine twenty and awaited the call...it did not come. I began to get a little restive and I was not alone,two other ladies who's appointments had been changed demanded vociferously to know why ,half an hour after the appointed time they were still waiting.
I finally had my bloods done at ten fifteen and although I was cross about being kept waiting what was to follow had me positively incandescent1

The practice nurse,a lovely lady who really should go to bed earlier, picked up my forms and said “Ah ,not a fasting test this time.” I told her that it had better be and explained the circumstances,at the same time making it crystal clear that I would not,under any circumstances come back another day after I had eaten.
Apparently the receptionists(may the scaffolding in their platform bras crumble in to dust) had misunderstood the doctors directions,how tiresome of them and how typical!

Then the next bombshell,she needed a urine specimen. No mention of this having been made by either the doctor or his crackpot receptionists I had,after my long wait found a visit to the loo necessary a few minutes before being called for my appointment. The well,as it were,was dry, again I declared myself resolved not to return to correct these errors. After half an hour kicking my heels I had a bash at producing the required specimen...with only scant success..it would have to do,I told the nurse as I turned to go.

On my way out I called at reception to collect Pa's repeat prescription delayed by over a week due to successive cock ups on the part of,guess who? Had I not felt so ill I should have ,no doubt waxed satirical at her expense,as it was I headed for home feeling dizzy and rather nauseous. I reached home in a state of collapse.

The afternoon passed in a haze,the more I attempted to remain awake the more sleepy I became,this combined with a cold sweat, extreme lethargy and a spinning head made things difficult. In the end I was obliged to give up any attempt at normality and retired very early to bed.

Now several hours later and having eaten some fruit and a little ham I am feeling less zombie like,Pa had purchased some chocolate and my son made me eat some after dinner ,which seemed to made a difference almost at once.

You see, the new tablets I was prescribed last week have to be taken with food as the side effects can be quite drastic if taken on an empty stomach. The doses must be taken at regular intervals or they cannot work as they should. This is why my G.P did not ask for a fasting blood test, that piece of lunacy was entirely the idea of those intellectually challenged hags who man the reception desk.

I hope that tomorrow brings a change for the better, I have had it rather rough lately..even for me.

My son has been a prince throughout my troubles and Pa has done his best to help,I am a very lucky lady.
Here's to tomorrow and don’t forget “Dum Spiro Spero”  Where there is life there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment