Wednesday 23 October 2013

DRAMA ?





A new channel recently appeared among the sorry line up of shopping channels and the repeats of long dead game shows,the new channel sports the name Drama!

To be frank I really did not expect much from this newcomer in spite of the pretentious name and so far it has entirely lived up to my expectations. What boggles my mind is the lose way in which the title Drama is bandied about,apparently episodes of “The Bill” and the very old Bill at that qualify for the title.
The new channel seems to be an excuse to show a bunch of ancient episodes of such things as those dreadful Catherine Cookson bodice rippers which should have been given a decent burial twenty years ago. Tilley Trotter has had more airings than my grannies bloomers...I kid you not!

Already there is Yesterday which dwells on the Second World War to the exclusion of all else and while I welcome any thing that keeps the folly of war rife in the minds of all it must be faced that this show has lasted years longer than the war it's self and runs the grave risk of becoming boring

Then there is that abominable pseudo archaeology programme “ Time Team” with that nasty little tic Tony Robinson capering up and down prattling on about Geo fizz! Yuk!
Surely to God once was enough. This out fit were thrown off a site close to my home for messing up a site of some importance.

As for me when I watched them remove the sacred tree from the mud flats against the wishes of all concerned I was so angry I felt like cursing the lot of them. Who the hell do they think they are.

Back now to “ Drama” I cannot help wondering why any one would bother to air such a show, unless they intended to show some real televisual drama. Here are a few suggestions

1:The Age Of Kings. A fantastic series of plays based of Shakespeare and full of wonderfully young actors.

2:The Power Game. A political drama in every sense of the word.

3: A Raging calm. A powerful drama set in the North of England and starring the incomparable Alan Badel.

4:All Passion Spent,sensitive and haunting and starring Wendy Hilliard in old age.

5: The Oneidin Line. I for one would love to watch Peter Gilmore in his prime.

There are some many wonderful Television Dramas they could broadcast so why the same ones already shown innumerable times on innumerable channels? And why such light weight froth?

It would seem that my expectations were too high,but, have we not seen enough Cop Shows,Doctors,Hospitals, and Hotel dramas?

I have watched some of these show so often that I am almost word perfect. I think it's time they showed some less repeated repeats and let us all off the treadmill.


No comments:

Post a Comment