Tuesday 22 October 2013

GREAT NEWS FOR PA






Late in the afternoon of yesterday Pa received the telephone call he had been waiting for for months,he now has the date for his knee replacement surgery,December 6th 2013. Next week he has his pre surgery check up,after that if there is a cancellation the operation could take place even sooner,which we are all hoping for.

Poor Pa has suffered dreadfully for many years and to have hope that soon he may at least be free from pain is wonderful, of course we hope that he will be able to walk again but such is the damage to both bone and tendons that we dare not hope for too much.

The main thing is that we have managed to get his operation done at the best hospital for this type of surgery in London instead of the  Hospital which is just a couple of hundred yards away from our home. The last time pa was a patient there (bowel surgery in 2007 I think it was) they almost killed him.

The after surgery care on the wards was terrible. They left him without any pain relief for three days when he should have been of I.V pain relief. One of his medications (a controlled drug) disappeared on the day of his operation, a fact which they failed to mention. After several days without this vital drug Pa was very unwell.
Next I discovered that they had not been giving him his epilepsy medication nor the medication for narcolepsy and in fact were not aware that he had these conditions for which there is no excuse.

One afternoon when arrived to visit Pa the nurse told me that he was comatose, it was at this point that I discovered that Pa had not been given any of his medication,except for,believe it or not a sleeping tablet, given to him at eight thirty........in the morning. Now I was really worried.

I spoke to the staff nurse who told me all was well and when I asked again a little later accused me of being a nuisance! By now Pa was having difficulty breathing and was in acute pain from his surgery,the dressing on his wound had not been changed for several days and actually smelled bad.

Again I attempted to alert the nursing staff to his condition, I was told that the nurses were busy with their rounds and was I trying to teach them their job. This time I pointed out that Pa was blue, his lips ,nose hands and feet,at last I got a reaction, a crash trolley and a consultant were sent for.

It transpired that Pa should have been on oxygen but that this had been disconnected while his bed was moved and not reconnected. A combination of no pain relief, no oxygen ,no fluids and absolutely no attention from the nurses had brought Pa to within a few minutes of death.

This is not the only incident we have experienced at this woefully inadequate hospital. A friend of ours was in their care for a month and during that time and in spite of the fact that he was in a room with a shower he was never washed. Unable to walk unassisted he had had to make do with a daily shave. He smelled so bad he was too ashamed to have his beloved granddaughters to visit him.

While in the care of this hospital he developed dreadful bed sores which went unattended, when I asked about this the nurse told me that it had been dressed the day before but that the dressing had “come off”. She made it sound as if there was only one dressing in the place and her reasoning was Why put on a dressing if it is going to come off again. One of these sores went to the bone.

He had been put on a special diet because he could not swallow,this never materialised and I was obliged to take in suitable food when I visited him. The whole thing was a disgrace. He died,unexpectedly after a month of neglect and on the day of his death a viscous black fluid was leaking from the opening in his stomach where a feeding peg had been located.
We were not family but had we been I should have demanded a second opinion as to cause of death,however when is family did show up ,at the funeral no one seemed to mind, after all they had not been there to see his plight!

It took quite a bit of jostling to get Pa into the hospital where his operation will take place,it does a lot of private work and we have no medical insurance.

The relief we all feel knowing that ,not only will Pa have a good surgeon, but also good after care on the wards. I assure you that we feel the luck of our situation and are very thankful for our .G.P s assistance in the matter.

So now we wait, this time with hope. Today I made our Christmas cake,Pa adores a rich fruit cake and as the next few weeks will be busy with non-Chrismassy doings at least the centre piece of the Christmas tea table will be ready.


Now I am in sore need of a quick shower and a long rest so I will wish you a good night and I do mean good.

No comments:

Post a Comment