Thursday 24 October 2013

IN TO THE DARKNESS




A few short days will see the end of British Summertime for another year,after which the days will be even shorter. Actually the days will still have the same length,,it is just that there will be only around eight hours of daylight.

Dark afternoons and bad weather offer up an opportunity which we might, in summer time feel guilty about availing ourselves of, but with nothing to do in the garden and outings being on a chores only footing for a while, I can, with a clear conscience spend some time on myself,on doing the things I enjoy.

Curling up in a snug blanket with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate often seems like the hight of luxury to me in the summer when I am too busy to sit still for a moment. I have a delicious pile of books which I hope to read during the course of the next few months.

All kinds of craft work are fun for me from quilling to collage and patchwork to decoupage and in winter I have a little more time for these pursuits. Cooking and baking I do all the year round ,but it is in winter and particularly the run up to Christmas that I can be at my most creative cooking the unusual items and with ,perhaps just a little extravagance to mark the occasion.

In my younger days I hated winter and the bad weather that could keep me indoors for days,now I almost welcome it. I love the feeling of hunkering down in our little cottage with a well stocked pantry and lots of board games to play. I love the feeling of flannel sheets and a snug quilt.

Of course winter bring with it many concerns for the elderly which are less pleasant. Keeping warm in the face of rising fuel costs and a shrinking income. Getting to the shops in bad weather, and for many the short afternoons and long nights can mean loneliness,the worst of all the worries.

This year we have lost two good neighbours,both of whom could be relied upon in times of need. When Pa was ill and I had to go out one of them would always sit with him for an hour or two.
Both would always ask if we needed anything whenever they went in to town,and were frequent visitors for breakfast and afternoon tea. We shall miss them very much as the nights drawn in.

Now the my son is working from home we are not alone at night quite so much ,however I have no wish to curb his private life or interfere with his work and keep requests for help to a minimum.

We shall survive of course,groceries can be delivered and it is possible to buy almost anything in line these days. Now I am going to ask a favour of you,if you have any elderly folks living near you ,please spare a thought for them now that the nights are drawing in. Just a knock on your way out to see if all is well,goes a long way towards making someone living alone feel a little safer.

Perhaps you could drop by for a cup of tea and a chat once in a while , please do not be afraid to get involved. Most old people still have much to offering the way of friendship and wise council,they only want a chance to give the love they still have in them and the experience of a lifetime.

If the only good deed you do is to check up on a neighbours welfare now and them you will have done a great deal of good. These days with endless commercials telling us that with “just two pounds a month” we can change the world we are becoming a community of cyber do gooders.

There is nothing wrong with helping children,animals, war victims or any good cause with a few pounds but it's so much more fun doing it for real. So please, make make someone’s day,ask how they are. The best way to show you care is to actually ...care. Such a little thing to ask,so don't be afraid,you may be surprised by how soon you new friend is helping you.



No comments:

Post a Comment