Thursday 10 October 2013

ORDERS ARE ORDERS





No I have n't joined the armed forces,although sometimes this place is a bit of a battlefield,no, today O girded up my loins and placed this quarters meat order with my Grimsby butcher and at the same time ordered my Christmas meats!

I am of the conviction that this is a task which cannot be left until the last moment,particularly if one wants good quality at a reasonable price. The bulk of my order will arrive next Tuesday morning ,the Christmas goodies will arrive on Christmas Eve.

This would normally pose a problem for me as while my son was working in the media we often had to eat our Christmas Dinner a day or two before The day. This year the only problem it creates is that I shall not receive our large cockerel in time for the pre Christmas feast I had been planning.

I shall either change the menu,or make it a New Year revel instead,either way if will be fun,I love cooking up a feast for these special guests.

My preserve making is almost done,just another batch of Apple and Thyme Jelly and a batch of mixed berry preserve,if all goes well; at the moment I cannot tell from day to day or even hour to hour how I will be feeling. Damn these blasted pills!!!!!!!

One thing is certain ,my countdown to Christmas is in full swing,cards,tags,ribbons and bows all await their respective package. Many presents have already arrived,some of them months ago!
I love Christmas far too much to wish to spend it stressed and unhappy, flying about at the last minute. It takes time to make the magic, truly,time is far more important than money when it comes to making a lovely Christmas.

There is one more thing, nothing cures a bad case of Christmasitis in young children faster than helping mummy to make gift tags,cards or neared the time home made sweets as gifts for friends,for there is sure to be a little left over,or a bowl to scrape. I have put this to the test many times...it has never failed me yet.


I want to enjoy all of Christmas,not just the day, making the preparations as a family make the season last much longer,long enough to really get in to the spirit of things, long enough for the warm glow to last throughout the cold dark days to come. And don't forget the memories,as I grow older I find them so very precious,make as many happy ones as you can and treasure them up,believe me they never fade,if anything the passing of the years adds a soft gleam to them which lasts long after the sparkle and the tinsel have gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment