Sunday 20 June 2010

FATHER'S DAY




This morning on the BBC news programme they asked the question, “Are fathers as important as mothers?”. Now to be fair I did not have the leisure to hang about waiting for the answer,in my opinion it was a stupid question in the first place. Of course fathers are every bit as important as mothers, their roles may be different but they are equally necessary to a child.

I had an amazing Dad, the sort every child should have. Whilst my mother was absorbed with raising my two younger brothers and running the house my father took me with him about the farm. From him I learned about birds and animals,what every tree was called. I learned to make a fire and how to care for chickens, and how to pluck and dress them ready for the oven. If any toy was broken he could always fix it, he made bows and arrows, pea-shooter catapults and whistles for us kids, and above all he laughed a lot. No matter what, he could be relied upon to find the funny side.

It is a matter of great sadness to me that my son,who is more like my father than either of my brothers was only a year old when his grandfather died, my dad would have adored him and I know he would have been very proud of him. Sometimes when my son laughs I catch my breath, he has my fathers laugh, his sense of humour and thank the Gods his strength. I have missed my dad every day since he died but through my son he smiles at me every day.

The Pavlova turned out beautifully, no Eton mess thank goodness. My son and I clubbed together and got his dad a CD player for fathers day he also had a book about railways and a silly mug. He has been the best dad a boy could have and it's fun to treat him like a king for a day. I cooked a huge fried breakfast of bacon, eggs and fried bread, Lord help his arteries, and he spent the day happily with his gifts.

My son is away on holiday next week so it will be rather quiet I expect, busy though, the laundry basket is over flowing again, it gives me the jim-jams contemplating the load of ironing that awaits me when its all been washed.

I am not sure if I know how to put my blog on-line so you may not hear from me for a few days,I shall write one each day as usual and post the lot next Friday if I can not do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment