Friday 4 June 2010

SALAD DAZE




Phew! What a scorcher. I got the bread made early this morning to get it over with before things hotted up. I spent some time cleaning up the bird feeding areas, rats can be a problem if you are not careful .It has been an amazing day for birds, the young robins have fledged all four of them,the parents are at full stretch just keeping the out of trouble. The male robin and I are old friends, I knew him when he was young and spotty! The pair of woodpeckers are at the feeding station constantly, I imagine their young will be fledging very soon. We always know when the nuthatch chicks have hatched as the parent birds suddenly stop being shy and will even take food from the window sill. Magpies are always around where there are young birds , this year we have more than usual Jays also are frequent visitors these days. There are starlings, dunnock ,.blue tit, coal tit, great tit, wrens, blackbirds, black cap, wood pigeon, gold crest , all nesting around the house and feeding regularly,its wonderful. A am able to wash the dishes or peel the spuds while this flurry of life goes on right in front of me .I am so lucky.

I decided on a very simple meal for this evening as it is so hot. I just served a whole roast chicken with lots of garlic cloves, a huge salad fresh from the garden and of course some of the bread I made this morning,jelly with fruit and cream for afters.

It's cookie baking day tomorrow, I have not yet decided what sort to make,perhaps I will try something new for a change.

Well off I go to water the flower garden, it looks as floppy as I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment