Friday 18 June 2010

THE SIEGE CONTINUES




There is an old saying that farmers and gardeners are always moaning,and to a degree its true. It is also true that they often have good cause,and that,s my excuse for having a good old whinge.

The subject today is mice,pesky little varmints ,cute they may be but destructive they most certainly are, especially in a large strawberry bed. I have wondered for a few days what was going on,the strawberries are well netted so it couldn't be squirrels,or pigeons. Today the penny dropped, whilst picking the fruit,and there was only half what I was expecting,I found in the very centre of the bed a heap of strawberries, at least two pounds of them and right away I knew it was mice.

I've known them do the same thing with peas but this is a first for me. I truly am beginning to feel persecuted ,badgers slugs pigeons fox cubs and now flipping mice. I am very sure that if there are any elephants at large in these parts they will be sure and trample my poor garden before they depart.
Every year brings a pest or two but to have the lot at once is plain bad luck.

Moan over. I did have enough strawberries to make ten jars of jam today so I must not e greedy, must I ?

We were to have had steak burgers for dinner, however someone, and he knows who he is forgot to get the mince out of the freezer. Now I will defrost most things in the microwave but mince is not one of them, its dodgy stuff at the best of times so we had sausages with bacon wrapped around, I made some jacket wedges and tarragon dip,oh and a garlic dip for my son. Quite nice but I have had to promise to do the burgers tomorrow instead.

It has been an odd sort of day, I seem to be on a different wave length to everyone else,or perhaps it's as my old gran used to say “It's not me it's them others”.

No comments:

Post a Comment