Wednesday 16 June 2010

VISITORS




Up very early today as I had asked a recent acquaintance to visit us this morning. I had said “Come for breakfast if you like”. she thought I was joking but I truly meant what I said. Breakfast in our house is usually after ten as the bread making has to be done first,and we are often joined by friends who know that it's more or less open house at breakfast time.

She arrived in good time and before the tea had brewed another friend arrived so it turned into a small party. Lots of gossip was exchanged and my new friend was soon very much at home, it was fun to chat away as I baked a double batch of shortbread, the biscuit tin was empty again, and we all had hot shortbread as soon as it was ready. It always gives me indigestion but it's worth it I think.

They left together at about 1,30 pm and I went into the garden to pick strawberries, with some of yesterdays and some gooseberries I shall be able to make some more jam tomorrow.

I cooked some pork chops for dinner with apple sauce made with frozen apples from our tree, peas and mashed potato. I did two huge pans of potato because tomorrow I want to make potato cakes. They make a wonderful breakfast and freeze very well so it pays to make lots if you can. We shall have a guest for breakfast tomorrow and I know these tasty treats are a favourite.

I honestly prefer to have guests for breakfast as it is so wonderfully informal and I am much less tired in the morning, I am afraid dinners are quite beyond me these days which is a shame as I love to feed people.


POTATO CAKES

1lb cold mashed potato
4 oz plain flour
2 large pinches of salt
4 oz melted butter
A small amount of oil for frying

Mix the potato, flour and salt together and add melted butter. Work into a dough then roll out on a floured surface to about a quarter of an inch thick, then cut into rounds with a 2 or 3 inch pastry cutter.

Fry in a very hot pan which has been very lightly greased with the oil,and brown on both sides, I do eight at a time on a griddle but you should get at least three in a frying pan, serve hot with butter or with bacon and eggs for a treat.

To freeze, leave to cool and wrap in cling film, they will be fine for about a month.

Hope you enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment