Sunday 13 June 2010

LAZY SUNDAY?




Sundays in our house don't actually amount to very much. Until quite recently my husband, had for many years worked in the tourism industry and so worked almost every weekend and bank holiday which was not much fun and no time off in lieu either. The extra money came in handy but it is rotten knowing almost every one is having a good time except yourself.

The current problem is that my son, who works one week on and one off, he works all night shifts, so that he spends most Sundays in bed and we have to creep about like mice, or he has lots of friends to see on the weekends he has off, so a lie in bed is out of the question, it's up and away.

Over the years I have made use of these non-weekends to do boring chores or more happily to get into the garden, no mowing or strimming however! Thankfully it's not all bad, I confess to feeling rather smug when I see news reports of traffic jams, crowded beaches and so forth! Life has its compensations I always say.

Things are looking better in the vegetable garden,salad is very plentiful and there is a great diversity of types. The herbs also are flourishing and it is lovely to be able to use them fresh.
We shall I hope have carrots soon, carrot root fly permitting, and the potato plants look very promising indeed.

I never do a roast dinner on Sunday for the reasons I gave earlier, we usually have that meal on my son's off week. Tonight I am making chicken in a rich tomato and herb sauce and a a mixed mushroom pasta for me as I have eaten the other dish more often than I like.

There are strawberries for afters and they look wonderful. I have not made any jam yet as we are eating them as fast as they are picked, time enough to make the jam when we are all tired of
them, which at this rate will not be long!

Well off we all go with hope into a new week,new plans, good intentions, I wonder how long it will be before hope disappears over the horizon with its backside ablaze! We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment