Wednesday 9 June 2010

Rocket, Rocket, Rocket!





Today has been very busy indeed,blueberry muffins for breakfast, it's such an easy recipe, if anyone wants it let me know. My son had a dental appointment and I think I was more nervous than he was, so in order to take my mind off things I decided to strim out the paths in the vegetable garden.

Strimming is hard work but very satisfying as it makes everything look so neat and fresh. I must admit I think it's getting a bit much for me as old age and decrepitude take hold. Earlier in the spring I planted three long rows of three different types of rocket, last year's crop was not very plentiful so I sowed lots. I must admit that this year we seem to have an embarrassment of the stuff, it's just as well that we love it! I like it best on a crayfish sandwich, especially if the bread is wholemeal. Still I doubt if we shall eat it all so I shall have to start harassing the neighbours to take some.

My son returned from the dentist triumphant and with a mouth full of hardware, but at least all went well. I made roast vegetable and tomato soup for him in case he needed something soft.

ROAST VEGETABLE SOUP

2 RED PEPPERS
2 CARROTS
1 LARGE PARSNIP
TWO
ONOINS
4 CLOVES OF GARLIC
HALF A SMALL SQUASH OR SMALL PUMPKIN ( I just used our last from last years crop, you can use courgettes when in season)
3 TINS OF TOMATO
24 FLUID ONCES OF WATER
ONE TUBE TOMATO PURREE

Peel and chop the vegetables and place in a roasting tin with the garlic, roast in the oven at 200c for about 30 minutes or until the veg begins to blacken a little.

Blend in batches with tomato puree tinned tomato and stock. Season to your own taste reheat and serve.

You can make less of this, but I find that it freezes very well in portions and can easily be made into a pasta sauce by adding some Italian seasoning.

Hearing that the government are asking our opinion about where the threatened cuts should come, I fired off a rather sarcastic rocket of my own in the form of an email asking the council how come they have the money to mow a graveyard where no one has been buried since eighteen hundred and frozen stiff when they are proposing cuts in the care of the elderly. I pointed out that I was very sure that the occupants of the graveyard ould be unlikely to complain and since the dead cannot vote he need have no fear of reprisals....other than being haunted by an obsessively tidy ghost!

We have a large number of fire works left over from last November the fifth. I had planned to have a party and use them at midsummer solstice,this afternoon I realised that now the garden is full of stuff there is no where to let them off. As I said before old age and decrepitude is defiantly setting in! Hey ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment