Friday 25 June 2010

MIDGES, HITCHES AND HEAT




Small fleas have even smaller fleas
Upon their backs to bite them.
And smaller fleas have smaller fleas
And so ad infinitum.

If that is true I should love to enlist the aid of these tiny,beasties to bite the blasted little horrors that took lumps out of me last night, I look very poxy indeed, and the itching is maddening! That is the price of a lovely evening in the garden. Hey-ho it was worth it. I should love a nice shower and my hair needs a wash, guess what? On the hottest day of the year the pump has packed in so there is no hot water upstairs. Now I am quite happy to have a cold shower, I almost always finish with one and I find it very invigorating, but washing my hair in cold water is where I draw the line. The last time I tried it my brain was numb for a good half hour, most unpleasant.

Today I managed to make another eight jars of strawberry jam and we are now reaching the point where we shall have enough to last the year...woe betide me if we should run out before the strawberry season next year, this year we ran out two weeks before I could make more and I am still hearing about it!

Thanks to the attentions of the mice the crop has been less than I had expected, however there is hope. A beautiful cat has appeared in the orchard, a white tom cat with a perfect black diamond on his face and a black tail. The cat Twiggy is aware of his presence but at present she is giving him the air. I hope that two cats will be better than one when it comes to ridding us of the mouse problem. Isn't nature wonderful. Thankfully our little miss has been neutered so there will not be a kitten problem.



NEWS UPDATE

I have just discovered that the whole neighbourhood has no water, as there has been a power out at the pumping station. This is great news as it means we shall not have the house swarming with plumbers tomorrow.Incidentally it has not proved possible to contact a plumber today. I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment