Wednesday 2 June 2010

Soup from Scratch




What a lovely sunny day. I had every intention of spending it planting out the remaining vegetable plants and sowing some more salad,but it was not to be. I often suffer from muscle spasms and today was one of those days,it never seems to happen on a wet day so that I would not feel frustrated by not being able to get into the garden .Hey ho,so I decided that as it was bread day again I should make a vegetable soup, hoping that with soft new bread and a strawberry jelly it would prove to be acceptable for my son in his present predicament. Thankfully all went well.

VEGETABLE SOUP

1 red pepper
1 carrot
1 parsnip
2 stalks of celery
1 potato
6 spring onions
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 oz butter
milk

Chop all the veg and fry the onion and pepper in the oil and melted butter for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the veg and fry for a further 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add enough water to cover the veg and simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.
Cool a little then pass through a sieve or put in a blender until smooth.
Add milk to make the thickness you prefer,season, reheat and serve with fresh bread or croutons. You can make this soup with any combination of vegetables and its always lovely.

The Rosemary and Tarragon are perfect at the moment so I made some herb oils. I just pick the herbs while they are dry pop them in a jar and top the up with oil; after a few days the oil takes on the flavour of the herb,they are good with salads and pasta dishes.

My cat has discovered the catnip plant which I put in the garden last week. She was rolling about all over it with a look of pure pleasure about her. I doubt if the plant will withstand many such onslaughts. Again I say, hey ho !

No comments:

Post a Comment