Tuesday 21 June 2011

A FAMILY SOLSTICE DAY AT AVIES


When I consider how very tired we all were last night I am amazed that we were all awake and out of bed very early indeed. My son and I were both wide awake before four in the morning on this Solstice day. We had a coffee together and having decided to leave Pa to rest a little longer and so at eight thirty we woke Pa with a hot drink . I know that Fathers Day was on Sunday but as my son was at work we decided to have it today instead including a special dinner a double celebration for us.

We breakfasted on blueberry muffins well stuffed with fruit and after washing up my son and O went to the supermarket to buy lots and lots of flour. I wonder if you have noticed how difficult it is lately to buy Granary flour, Kamut and quite a few other types of flour that until recently were readily available. I must confess that I am becoming quite concerned as I make all our bread ,cakes and biscuits and I do so with good quality flour and not the bog standard rubbish with seems to be all that is available at the moment. Today I purchased a storage bin and filled it with a good supply of wholemeal and seeded flour, all I could buy as once again there was no granary four to be had.

Bread is still a staple food with us and the idea of trying to eat shop bought bread is appalling. Cheap flour makes poor bread which does not keep well and therefore it is a false economy to by the stuff.
I suppose that you might say that I am hoarding and yet having seen the way people behaved when clean water was scarce a few years ago and being disabled I would say that it would be a fair wager that I should be at the back of the queue if push came to shove. I have a;ways kept a good stock offff rice, pasta, bulgar wheat, cous cous and other staplin-casease of emergencies and I have been glad to have these suplies on many occasionss. Some years ago in a severe winter we kept everyone down our lane supplied with candles, something else I always keep plenty of .

Pa had his special dinner, steak, roast potatoes and salad followed by a hugePavlova well stuffed with strawberries aand raspberries from the garden. I enjoy cooking nice things for Pa and it is good to see him eat with a good appetite as all to often these days he does not eat enough. I take any opportunity to fill him up with cream, butter and his favourite Stilton cheese, any thing to keep his weight up. He is lucky in that he has been told to eat lots of dairy produce, I wish I was so fortunate.

All in all it has been a lovely day ,Pa is cheerful and now has a small television and a DVD player, he the television but like me he loves to watch films and any thing to do with railways. He used to watch these on his old computer which died of old age a few weeks ago. Now he can watch Dads Army in style. He seems very happy tonight and bright and cheerful , tomorrow he is getting his ears syringed as he has been rather deaf of late, this will we hope mean that the radio is not quite so loud and for myself I must say that not having to repeat everything three times will be wonderful. I am sure that Pa will find life much easier when he can hear properly, I was totally deaf for several months some years ago and I found life very difficult indeed.

It has been a happy day for all of us and to see Pa enjoying himself makes me the happiest of all .Our neighbour came round for an hour this evening and we sat drinking tea and laughing until our sides ached. Now the day is over and we are all sleepy, I must go out to the garden to light the candles to celebrate the longest day, and for once it has been a beautiful midsummers day.

Good night, and good fortune to all on this special day, may strength,wisdom, happiness and a quiet mind be yours,always.

No comments:

Post a Comment