Sunday 12 June 2011

RAINY SEASON

Hopefully in the nick of time the weather has turned and rain has arrived with a vengeance, this will with luck

scotch any talk of a hosepipe ban in our area. The drawback, and there always is one is that the rain has been accompanied by a rapid and somewhat drastic drop in temperature which will not do my tender crops any good at all.

With my oven on the blink and the garden out of bounds due to inclement weather I decided to make another batch of strawberry jam with the fruit picked yesterday, and soon another six pounds of jam was cooling in the kitchen and waiting to be labelled.

My son and his friends had departed to their gaming session and I decided to pop out for a while to pick up some suet for the birds, cool off, get a breath of fresh air and to have a look at a craft fair in the park . “Local Artisans” said the legend over the gate along with “Special Event” Admission five pounds. Having chosen the first wet Sunday for months the “Local Artisan who turned up looked rather tragic as did the poor sodden soul on the gate waiting presumably to take the entrance money. I went to the pet shop to pick up the bird food and had a look around the garden centre on my way home. Passing through the park at two O clock I noticed that there were now four soggy rain drenched gazebos with more artisans that customers, I just hope none of the artisans had watercolour paintings for sale

The ironing awaited me on my return and amongst the pile was......da, ad, daaaaaa!...The Shirt of Doom, so called as it has so many epaulettes, pleated button over pockets, appliquéd badges and other embellishments that in the time it takes me to iron this monstrosity I can iron five ordinary shirts. Last year I basely hide the wretched garment to avoid having to iron it but my poor son was so grieved by its disappearance that my heart smote me and I replaced it in his wardrobe without a word. The look on his face was reward enough until I had to iron the blasted thing again...I am too soft for my own good you see!

Tonight's meal was a very large Chinese takeaway, this has become a tradition when birthdays or other occasions are celebrated by my son and his friends and I was not at all sorry not to have to cook. Pa and I ate our share of the feast and the left the gang to their festivities having donated a large bottle of damson gin to the party.

In the peace and quiet of my room I made a pot of Earl Grey tea and decided to opened a box of chocs and have a good old laze about for a couple of hours. I confess to feeling extremely tired today probably due to the fact that I did not sleep at all last night. I stayed awake through !the Shawshank Redemption” “The Quick and the Dead” and “Bogus” a film of which I am rather fond although a could not say why as I detest child actors and dislike Gerard Depardue. Much as enjoyed this film show I would have much preferred to be sound asleep. The chances of my getting an early night tonight are minute and I have resolved to spent the time writing and drawing for a change.

My little cat has had a rotten time today and as she dislikes company she is now sitting on my bed with the air if a refugee, I have a small secret supply of catnip in my desk draw and I shall shortly cheer her up with a nip of the pongy stuff. The ways of cats are odd indeed.

Another week is over and my son returns to work tomorrow, I hope the cooker repair man comes soon, the cooker is only a few months old and so is still under guarantee, until it does I shall be unable to bake, God only knows what I shall do with al the spare time. What if it keeps on raining and I can not do any gardening, I may end up painting the bathroom out of sheer boredom, sad isn't it!

No comments:

Post a Comment