Friday 17 June 2011

OFF AT THE GALLOP


Having to jump, well crawl out of bed half asleep and attempt to get two people who are even sleepier than myself out of the house on time is not my ideal way to begin the day. So it was this morning, Knowing the pitfalls that lay in store for me I slept ill last night and this morning I felt is if there was a fog where my brain used to be.
My son, who had been awake all night and would normally be off to bed was a great help even though he was very tired indeed. Pa did much better than usual but finding that he had plenty of time dawdled about until he was almost late leaving the house, by nine fifteen I was a nervous wreck.

Bread had to be made and with my oven still behaving like a Prima Donna I was even more nervous as six assorted loaves went in to the oven at nine thirty. I cleared the kitchen as the loaves cooked and fed crumbs to a certain spotty young robin of my acquaintance, he is becoming very tame and will now come in to the kitchen to see what goodies he can find. It must also be said that one of the squirrels has taken such a liking to buttered toast that it came in to the house this morning and pinched my breakfast while I was answering the front door, I returned just in time to see it disappearing over the step with my breakfast firmly clamped between its teeth, charming!

The garden is full of young birds of many species at the moment , all a little lost and most of them not quite sure what is edible and what is nasty. I watched two newly fledged wood pigeons attempting to eat ash leaves this morning so I quickly put out a little bread for them, I just hope that they do not find my lettuces! Judging by the huge numbers of young great tits it has been a very good year for them and I am happy to note that the wrens have been successful this year bringing off two broods already.

Pa returned from the doctors on time and I was able to attend the meeting of our conservation group a twelve, due to circumstances beyond my control (Pa) I have missed the last two meetings.
The meeting went on for over three hours and was stormy to say the least. We have a member who can not tell the difference between conservation and total neglect and she absolutely refuses to see any ones point but her own. We have undertaken to control certain areas in order to prevent the local authority from sending in contractors to hack and slash some rather sensitive areas, Even conservation areas must have management and we stand to lose all we have gained if this lady is not made to see that she is partly the cause of the problem. You see one of the areas in question happens to be a pair of allotments rented by her. For the past ten years nothing has been done with either of them and they are now above shoulder high with brambles. If she can not be made to see sense these areas will be sprayed with weed killer and all the wild life will be lost.

Her response is that she will not , “conform”and no one is going to tell her what to do. I fear that she did not quite like my own trenchant remarks on the subject and stormed out. A number of our members have allotments on this site and are desperate to prevent the chemical spraying and tree felling which we have temporarily managed to stop. This one woman's selfish disregard for others could well be fatal to the wildlife on this site as another group wants to have the whole site cleared and so far as they are concerned the wild life can go to hell as long as everything is neat and tidy.

I hate committees as I may have already mentioned before precisely this reason, I do not suffer fools gladly and I meet enough of them in the normal course of events without going out deliberately to meet then. I offered to resign but since I had voiced the private opinions of everyone there my resignation was not accepted......well I had to try!
We are to hold another fund raising event in September and I shall be providing lots of preserves to sell. We have had a good deal of success and I hope that we can win round our problem member before she does too much damage.

My son is less that happy with the meeting he attended this morning and feels that he was called in under false pretences, I can not go in to any details at the moment , all I will say is that he was pretty damn cross when he arrived home from his meeting.

Having been out for a good deal of the afternoon I made Pa and I a quick dinner of Eggs Florentine ans left my son to sleep until seven when I cooked his favourite chicken pomodori in an effort to cheer him up, with only partial success. I have decided to have an early night as I am shattered, I intend to get Pa off to bed as soon as possible and then retire to my room with a pot of tea and a bag of rather delectable looking nougat and to hell with the calories...a short life and a merry one say I!

No comments:

Post a Comment