Wednesday 22 June 2011

THE TROUBLE WITH PA'S EARS


We waved Pa off this morning as he headed for his Doctors appointment,happy that when he returned he would at last be able to hear properly. I was a little concerned for him because I know he hates having his ears syringed, yet hoping for the best. About an hour after his departure he called to tell me that the wax in his ears was so compacted that the Doctor could not get it out and would have to apply some oil in the hope that by next week it would have softened up sufficiently to be removed. Disappointed we retrieved the megaphone from the dustbin, gargled with Port wine and prepared to yell our sympathy for his plight on his return.

I had several abortive attempts to do a little gardening but the weather was against me, three times I reached the bottom of the orchard and tree times it began to rain the moment I arrived there. Three time I waited for a while under the shelter of the old apple tree and three time I ended up having to
give up and walk back up the path through the deluge and arrive in the kitchen soaking wet. By one thirty there were three wet shirts hanging on the airer and I called quits and retired to the kitchen to bake a fatless sponge for tea. The oven is still playing to fool but with a good deal of care I managed to retrieve it from the oven only slightly scorched this time.
FATLESS SPONGE CAKE
4 eggs
4oz plain flour
4 oz caster sugar
a pinch of salt

Grease and line 2 x8” sandwich tins. Crack the 4 eggs into a bowl add the sugar and salt and beat until very frothy and very pale in colour. Sieve the flour and fold in to the mixture with care. Divide to mixture between the two tins and bake in a pre heated oven 200oC for twenty minutes.
Turn out on to wire racks until cool.
I sandwiched my cake with the few fresh strawberries which I managed to pick between the showers and of course some fresh whipped cream, but is is equally good spread with jam and sprinkled with a little caster sugar.

I have heard it said that fatless sponges are difficult to make when in fact they are one of the easiest, have a go and see what you think..

My son asked for his favourite pork dish for dinner and as he manfully chewed his way through last nights steak(not his favourite meat) I happily agreed. This dish requires a lot of sage and at the moment ours is plentiful and at its best. I served the pork with new potatoes for a change but with the usual dips and garlic sauce.

Pa now has a new DVD player and is happily watching films about British Railways. We had planned to install my sons old machine which he no longer uses, however the remote control was not working well and as Pa cannot move about much we got him a new one. This machine five star rated on Amazon cost only eighteen pounds more that a new universal remote control for the old machine so it was as my son said a no brainer!

The dishes are done, the kitchen is clean and tidy and it has at last stopped raining, this is annoying as I am now far to tired to do any gardening and besides at this time of night after a warm rainy day the garden is the haunt of certain vicious mosquitoes. These little horrors have feasted themselves upon my person all to often, I do not choose to give them another opportunity as I have only just ceased to itch after their last onslaught. Tomorrow will be soon enough for Twiggy and I to venture forth again.
We must be up early tomorrow as Pa has yet another medical appointment, this time with his haematologist.....oh well, variety is the spice of life, or so they say!

No comments:

Post a Comment