Monday 27 June 2011

SUMMER IN THE CITY


I got up very early this morning to bake the days bread before the heat became unbearable, getting up was not difficult as I had not slept at all due to the heat, in fact none of us slept for more than an hour or so. Monday is a six loaf day as I bake two extra loaves for friends so today I made three granary cobs and three split tin loaves, these should be enough to last until Wednesday, with luck.

My son who usually sleeps late on Mondays as he has to work tonight was awake very early and as he did not go to bed until one thirty he was not at his best. Poor old Pa had another fall last night, this time he was attempting to evict a mouse, a gift from Twiggy, tripped and fell heavily against a large oak coffee table and there is no doubt that he came of worst as he is now sporting a pair of very nasty bruises and a long scratch upon his chest. These complement his black eye beautifully!

It was a tired, bruised and battered trio who sat down to breakfast this morning and I decided to make French pancakes to cheer us all up. Our neighbour wandered in and joined us for breakfast and although he had slept a little last night he had been awakened early by the aeroplane noise, the price we pay for leaving the windows open on hot nights. We consoled each other over another pot of tea and were soon larking about as usual although we did use up half a kitchen roll between us as we repeatedly wiped the sweat from our faces, the kitchen was like a furnace by ten this morning.

We needed a few odds and ends from town an so I volunteered to go. The heat striking from the road and from the walls was dreadful, I hate towns and cities at the best of times but in hot weather I find them unbearable. I find all cities claustrophobic the poor souls who have to work in the tall buildings in these airless smelly overheated places are treated no better that battery hens by their employers , I have worked in the city myself and I know this to be true.
I did my shopping a quickly as possible and hurried home to shelter and shade. Out little cat had found a cool place under the apple tree and was stretched out on her tummy enjoying the feeling of cool earth and for two pins I would have joined her but the arrival of more visitors intervened, just my luck.

All through the afternoon the heat mounted and we all felt that a very light meal would suit us best and so I prepared an old favourite of melted cheese in milk served with crunchy celery sun dried tomatoes and fresh granary bread. It does not sound like much of a dinner but in hot weather it is lovely to spread the soft melted cheese upon new bread and the celery seasoned with just a little salt is very refreshing. The dish originates from Switzerland and there they use their own type of cheese, I use whatever we happen to have in the refrigerator which today was a mixture of Cheshire and Brie.

I must say that I very worried about Pa, the number and severity of falls is increasing and my own ability to lift him up when this happens is decreasing by the day. All our efforts to obtain help from Social Services have come to nought and I begin to wonder how long we can continue to be lucky as so far there has been no lasting damage or broken bones. Even so it is a fact that there are many people in much worse circumstances than us and so I shall continue to count my blessings and keep taking the tranquillizers.

My son will leave for work tonight in much the same frame of mind as he used to go off to school, truly I have never seen him so utterly demoralised, there must be something truly awful going on at his place of work: he says nothing but I am his mother and I know when something is wrong. I am also quite certain I know where to lay the blame for his unhappiness and in these times is does not take a Miss Marple to guess what is going on.

I am a great believer in the saying “What goes around comes around” In this case I hope with all my heart that it holds true!

No comments:

Post a Comment