Thursday 2 June 2011

MAKING ,BAKING AND DOING.


Today has been very productive and that is just the sort of day I love, at the end of such a day no matter how tired I am it is so rewarding to see the result of all the work that is is all worth while.
For a busy day is began in a lazy way with toast and coffee served to me by my son when he arrived home from work,he does this quite often and it makes me feel like a queen to be given b reakfast in bed.

Once my son was settled I occupied the kitchen for an hour making five loaves and giving breakfast to Pa. Today's baking consisted of two split tin loaves, two baguettes and some Italian flat bread topped with rosemary and salt crystals. Washing up came next and then it was off to the supermarket for a few essentials, the discovery last night that we had run out of beer added greatly to the days aggravations and so today I picked up a dozen cans and a bottle of vodka. The remaining items were more pedestrian, peppers, potatoes, bacon and such like items, I passed through the check out without incident and hurried home .

After a cup of coffee I girded up my loins and headed for the gooseberry bushes armed with a large bowl and grim determination! Various parts of my anatomy are still smarting from the thorns I aquired during my last assult upon these spiney horrors. Today I needed to pick three pounds, it took ages and by the time I had finished I was dripping with gore from many deep scratches. I made such a grisly spectacle as I went around the corner of the house that a poor delivery man paled so dramatically that I asked him to sit down on the bench. For some reason he could not get away fast enough!

The three pounds of gooseberries having been topped and tiled were poured in to a pan with three ounds of strawberries and the juice of three lemons I added the sugar and boiled until setting piont was reached and when bottled I was pleased to find that I had another eleven jars of jam, ranging from very large tp quite dinky.

Now I was against the clock and needed to clear the kitchen on record time in order to prepare and serve dinner which thankfully was scampi with chips, peas,salad and a luscious lemon dressing. While this was cooking I prepared a ham and mozzarella baguette for my son's super at work and made him a pot of tea to help him wake up gently.

The usual round of bathing , hair washing and farewells followed and then at last I was able to sit back and assess the days work, all in all I am pleased and the preserves cupboard is filling up nicely.
Pa is in the bath at the moment, soon he will be safely ensconced in his room with his model railway books and as for me, to sleep....perchance to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment