Wednesday 7 December 2011

ANOTHER HAPPY DAY AT HOME




Far from being an anti-climax today was in its way every bit as special as yesterday and how we have enjoyed it all.

After a leisurely start to the day I pottered downstairs and made a huge pan of creamy porridge, just right now that the weather has turned so cold. A knob of butter and a sprinkling` of brown sugar made it even nicer and we ate up the whole pan. Soon after breakfast all sorts of interesting parcels began to arrive,well it is that time of year after all. N+My sons speakers for his new computer arrived and I must say the sound if amazing,he has spent the day playing a new “Star Trek” game and I have not seen him so happy in a ling time. My feather bed arrived next and I hope that this will help to stop flare ups of arthritis, I am told it feels like sleeping on a cloud, I shall let you now tomorrow.

Next came a bundle of packages for Pa, Christmas gifts for Pa ordered on line by my son who will now spend most of tomorrow up to his ears in cello tape and gift wrap. Next some very special hand made chocolates in such a pretty box, these are for me. I am not supposed to have chocolate so a few very special ones will be a treat and I shall not mind watching the others stuff.

One of my gifts for Pa's birthday has not yet arrived and as the day is Saturday I am rather concerned, I have a bottle of his favourite port already but the watch I ordered has still to arrive, still there are two day to go so all is not lost. Birthday cards have begun to arrive and As Pa loved the card I sent him last year I have ordered another from a much advertised source, the picture on the card it a beautiful portrait of Twiggy, which will I expect join last years framed above Pa's desk.

The wind turned very cold this afternoon and the cat in question has spent her time roosting in my window with her dainty little paws tucked neatly underneath for warmth, I had intended to do a couple of out door tasks but was deterred by the cold...the jobs can wait.

For dinner I made another game pudding as I had promised to do after the fiasco of my last attempt and this time it was perfect. I turned it out on to a plate, the crust was golden and full of all the wonderful juices from the meat and when cut the chunks of rabbit, venison. Pheasant, pigeon and hare spilled out on to the plate smelling fantastic. I had boiled out some of the meat trimmings with an onion and some bacon and this, with the addition of some damson and apple jelly made a wonderful sauce for the dish which I served with lots of mushy peas, northern style.

Feeling comfortably full we shared the clearing up and having decided on tomorrows meals began the evening routine of baths,and hair washing. Tonight is to be a fright night for my son and I and Pa is Looking forward to working on his railway .

The colder it gets outside the cosier our little cottage always seems and this years it is costing less to heat as the draughty doors have been fixed. The snug feeling does not however appear to have anything to do with how hot the radiators are, it is the house itself that seems to settle in to winter very much like my little cat, it curls up amongst the surrounding trees and seems almost to glow with warmth. I have always felt that this was a happy house,small but very cosy, wrapping its occupants in a cocoon of snug contentment,I love it so much, if I had dreamed my perfect house this would be it and now lit up for Christmas and decorated I feel that I have all I need to be happy. I truly do love my small world, and the people who share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment