Friday 2 December 2011

EXPERIMENTS IN THE KITCHEN AND A TRIP THROUGH THE DOUGHNUT


I was so worried that I would not wake in time for my early appointment at the hospital that I did not go to sleep at all and two in the morning I gave yo the attempt and spent an hour or two playing computer games. I played pin ball until I could no longer see the screen, played spider solitaire,and full house for a while and then made some coffee and sat at the window watching the foxes in the garden.

The early part of the night had been rainy and the sound of late traffic I the lane had accompanied my early sleeplessness. Suddenly in the early hours of the morning the rain ceased and the sky became crystal clear and stars winked here and there. The air became colder and I watched the frost forming on the rain soaked grass, the railings and garden shrubs. I seemed almost miraculous, it happened quite quickly,I was spellbound.

A little later a swirling mist drifted up from the river softening the scene which became more magical with every moment. It was worth not sleeping to be a part of so much wonder and as the sun rose the mist retreated ever so slowly weaving its way through the trees back to the river. By this time I was dressed and ready to set out, the house was quiet, Pa was still asleep and my son not yet home from work. I made my way down the misty lane admiring the frosted ivy trails and the glittering rose hips, I could not be sorry to be put so early in the face of so much beauty.

I did not have long to wait for my scan and before long I was lying face down and being propelled through the doughnut shaped scanner. For three minutes or so I held my breath when told to do so and remained as still as possible until the scan was over. Had I stayed there much longer I should have fallen asleep I am sure. By the time I was on the return journey the sun was up and the frost was melting except in those places where the sun did not reach, in some parts of our garden the frost remained all day. Twiggy was most seriously displeased by this turn of events and after a very short trip to the orchard she spent the remainder if the day indoors draped artfully across the window sill well aware that she looked stunning.

As soon as I returned home I made the days bread, four granary loaves, two split tins and two seeded business of the day, the baking. Today I had resolved to try a new cookie recipe for Stained Glass Window Cookies. This involved a method I seldom use and also the bashing of a large beg of boiled sweets into smithereens. It was a tricky recipe in some ways and the cookies puffed up more than I expected but the end result was not bad fir a first attempt and the cookies tasted lovely. I would have like them to have had a little more of the stained glass effect but now that I know what to expect the next batch I make will be better.

I popped out to buy some wide gold braid which I need to trim my sons Christmas outfit, this year he will also wear a velvet cloak and although he has not yet tried it on I think he will look very imposing. With his long black hair and his beard he looks like a medieval monarch or perhaps a Mage.

The boys decided that I had been busy enough today and so we had fish and chips for dinner with some of the bread I made this morning which was a real treat. The boys were quite right I was very tired by dinner time.
Now the dishes are washed and I have had my bath, soon my son will leave for work and then once Pa has settled down for the night I shall, I hope be able to sleep at last.

It has been a lovely day the magic of the frost has stayed with me and even now my minds eye can still see the foxes crossing the silver lawn, leaving behind their paw prints embossed upon the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment