Friday 30 December 2011

A CURE FOR DARK DECEMBER


After a succession of dark,dank and dismal days and the usual post Christmas blues I decided to cheer us all up with a week of fun and games,fireworks and food,a winter festival in fact.
As I mentioned before my son returned to work on Boxing Day which rather out a damper upon our celebrations in spite of all our efforts. His generous employers have given the workforce New years Eve off but as they have to work on New Years Day they will not really be in a position to enjoy the festivities whole heartedly.

On Monday morning my son begins his off week and I have plans. Of course On Monday,having been working all not he will be tired so the celebrations will begin in earnest on Tuesday with a feast of roast duck with all the trimmings followed by a rich chocolate pudding. Also on Tuesday we shall begin a games marathon to decide who is the best at such things as card games.,dominoes, chess, ludo and pother childish pursuits.

On Wednesday there will be waffles for breakfast with hot strawberry sauce followed by an day with the scalextric set. We each have our own car and the set is very extensive as we have added to it over the years. My son who like me refuses to grow up loves games as much as he did when a child and come to think of it Pa too is fond of most games.
This will be followed by a dinner of home made pizza followed by iced cream with fudge sauce.

On Thursday the Christmas decorations have to come down so I have planned a few fun distractions such as mulled cider and hot cookies. Although dinner has yet to be decided on Afterwards I have a firework display planned. We have two huge boxes of Fireworks left over from a party and these will make a great display to which I shall invite our neighbours, Hot dogs will be served and hot mince pies. If that lot does not rid us of the winter blues I shall be very surprised.

While Friday Is always a cleaning day I have arraigned a favourite dinner for the boys with a film to follow.
Saturday is a gaming day for my son and I shall spend the day baking treats for the following week

Sunday is the finale , a party for my sons Dungeons and dragons group with lots of home made hooch and plenty of good things to eat.

I shall not have time to feel blue while preparing that little lot and I hope that by Sunday not every one will be feeling much better.

For myself I am full of hope for the New Year, I shall be back in my garden again before long and today while on a trip to the hospital I found a small tree smothered in golden catkins,it made my day. It is strange how so small a thing can produce so much joy and how glad I am that so many of these delights are to be found in my small corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment