Monday 26 December 2011

BUSY DOING NOTHING


Although I have often heard it said that Boxing Day is an anti climax I have always found the calm of boxing day decidedly pleasant. The bustle of preparing for the big day is over, the main cooking event of the year has been accomplished so the cook is off the hook,altogether a much more relaxing day.

This year unfortunately my son must return to work tonight, the price he pays for working in the news business and so for us, for now Christmas is over...but not for long. We shall begin again in a weeks time when my son is once again at home for the week. As he must work tonight my son was left to wake in his own time and so we had a rather late breakfast of sausages and scrambled eggs on hot buttered toast and very good it was too.

Realising that I had been indoors all day yesterday I took the buggy out for a spin along the river,the tide was exceptionally high and still coming in fast. On the slipway a swan obviously not at all well was surrounded by a group of people, we decided to call the RSPB and they agreed to come out to collect the poor thing. One kind soul undertook to stay with the bird until they arrived as not only was the tide getting rapidly nearer but a large dog fox had I was told been seen taking an interest .

There was a public house handy and they too took an interest as being on the river they were used to these kind of occurrences. I headed for home having stayed out rather longer than I intended.

Having to work on Boxing day is bad enough but when there are no tube trains it can be well nigh impossible to get there. Fortunately a friend fro work came to collect my son and one or two other stranded workers, This meant that we had to have a very early dinner as my son had to leave home over two hours early. This caused no difficulty what-so -ever as we we
had planned top have a meal of cold ham , turkey and salad and every thing went well.
It also meant that I met at last one of my sons friends from work and swap hugs.

It seems a shame that our much longed for and long planned holiday has to end so soon but of course my son will have next week off and we plan to enjoy lots of games and more special meals. In the mean time I am enjoying a break from all the cooking and a little peace and quiet,a commodity which is rather scarce I find. I have Lots of new DVDs to watch as the Television programmes are up to their usual appalling standard at Christmas.

I have loved every minute of the holidays and the preparations too, only a few short weeks ago it looked as if I would be to ill to be much use and I feel very lucky to have made such a good recovery. I shall be back in the kitchen tomorrow I have no doubt but for tonight I shall relax, eat chocolates and enjoy being lazy for once, starting right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment