Thursday 22 December 2011

PLAYING TRUANT


Some days are special, some days linger in the memory for ever standing out like beads of gold thread amongst dull stones. Today has been one of those.

It began in an ordinary way with coffee and an episode of “Wind In The Willows” watched by my son and I while Pa had a lie in. We breakfasted on hot fruited piklets with maple syrup and cream and during our meal our Bronze turkey arrived along with the giant ham ordered for Christmas weeks ago. This caused much excitement and even the delivery man stayed to watch us open the box, he is a familiar face and we made sure he took some home made chutney before he left.

The ham is huge and visions of all the lovely meals that this will make after being served hot tomorrow and cold on Christmas day whirled around in my head,along with the question of what the heck I was going to boil it in. I put it to soak at once to remove any excess salt and left the problem of cooking it until tomorrow.....laid back or what?

We had decoded upon a very simple meal for tonight as tomorrow the feasting begins and so I prepared some soufflĂ©s , the twice baked sort which I would finish later and serve with salad, soda bread and apricot sauce. This done I had intended to do some ironing …....the sun shone, the sky was blue and I realised how little time I had spent out of doors during the past week of two and that as they say was that.

I dressed warmly, grabbed ,my camera and drove off quickly before my conscience had time to smite me, I drove into the park and went all around the lake and in and out of the many small pathways, I have not visited this spot for almost ten years. The sun was low but bright and slanted golden beams across the lake and between the trees gilding the grass and turning the dead beech leaves to a glorious coppery red, the beauty of it all took my breath away.

Here and there coots, moor hens, swans and geese went about there business and in a twisted old yew tree a sleepy Tawny owl leaned against the tree trunk waiting for night fall and a chance to hunt unmolested. As the sun began to set it became very chilly and I made my way towards the light and warmth of the garden centre to pick up some last minute bits and pieces and to say Merry Christmas to all my friends there.

I trundled home down the long drive and all the way I could see our little cottage snuggled in amongst the trees and bathing in the glow of a glorious sun set. It seemed to radiate happiness and peace and I felt glad right through to my heart that I was going home to this lovely cosy place.

No one minded that I had played truant for a few hours, in fact my good son had done the hoovering by the time I returned and Pa had steam cleaned the kitchen floor and then it was almost time for dinner .

It was a lovely meal and after the fresh air I was more hungry than I have felt in days so I really did tuck in to the soufflé and the iced cream and hot fudge sauce with followed.
At this time of year darkness falls quickly and yet for me the lack of daylight is made up for by the glow of lamps and candles which at this time of the year we always use, as we celebrate the winter solstice by bringing light in to the darkness both inside and outside of the house.

Now with the days work done and the prospect of a cosy night at home I feel that at this moment I have never been happier, I have my family about me, a snug and cosy little home and everything I need to make life sweet. With all my heart I wish such contentment for you all for tonight and for always.

No comments:

Post a Comment