Monday 19 December 2011

THE HOLIDAY BEGINS AT LAST


Pa and I had breakfasted by the time,e my son arrived home this morning after his party. We had a guest to breakfast and so it turned in to another small party. I was happy to hear that last not went well and apart from a regrettable incident with the taxi things went without a hitch. I did receive a garbled and angry call from the cab controller who informed me that he would see to it that we should never have a cab from them again. Fortunately I am friendly with the owner and I emailed him to find out what was going on.

I had to pop out this morning to deliver a loaf,a cake and some cookies and to collect a special balloon for my son without which Christmas cannot begin. It rained hard and I got soaked but it was worth it . I was give another gift today. The lady for whom I bake bread presented by with a butterfly house, a most beautiful one with a copper roof. This will provide a place for both over wintering butterflies such as the Brimstone and also the pupae of butterflies which hatch in the spring since a part of our conservation group effort is to release hundreds of butterflies and moths each year this will come in handy and will help the cause .

I baked a special ginger cake this morning for a young friend, it is an iced ginger square decorated with silver and pink balls, this will be collected on Friday when we shall be having another breakfast party.

I iced two Christmas cakes during the afternoon, one with royal icing and the other with marzipan set full of nuts and glacé cherries. The kitchen was warm and cosy while out side the rain pattered against the window pains adding to the general snug feeling.
I love this time of year so much, everything sparkles, people are happy and the house smells of spices and roasting meat, this later is driving puss to distraction and she is refusing all her usual favourite cat foods in favour of the savoury treats she prefers. Who can blame her?

For dinner I melted some boxed Camembert and served them with new bread, apricot sauce and tomato sauce, very simple and very tasty on a clod winters night. There are so many types of cake and biscuit in the house at the moment that afters takes cared of itself, Pa favours mine pies with fresh cream. My son loves chocolate cookies and I like shortbread, I observe that the mince pie tin is almost empty, tomorrow I shall bake another batch.

I received a call from the owner of the cab company who almost messed up my sons evening by getting hopelessly lost and then telling the night controller that my son had been very drunk and had run away without paying. Fortunately I have know the owner of the company for years and he was very upset at what had happened and well he might as we use the cabs three of four times a week to take Pa and I to various hospitals in the capital and my son and his friends always use them. I accepted the apology but I have to say that it will be difficult to trust them again after this.

I cannot believe that the holidays are here at last, the boys have asked for roast pork tomorrow and a breakfast of cheese oatcakes,I shall of course oblige, if the weather is as bad as today it will make a perfect meal with roast vegetables and jacket wedges and dips.

I have been given a set of reindeer antlers with bells on to ware on my head, I am wearing them now and I do so wish that you could see the cats expression, I believe she thinks that I have lost my marbles......she could be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment