Sunday 4 December 2011

PERFECT PEACE.


Oh how I love Sunday, no post,no deliveries, no metre readers,no tradesmen and in consequence no dashing to the door every five minutes,for which relief much thanks.

The day began with toast and coffee with my son while Pa had an extra half hours sleep. We began one of our Christmas traditions this morning,ever since my son was a small child we have watched an episode of “Wind In The Willows” each morning in the two weeks before the 25th. Each year I think that it will be the last but last night my son asked my to root out the CD so that we could begin. There is something quite magical about this animated version and the lovely music of Ralph Mc Tell evokes all the gentle nostalgia of the book. We feel now that Christmas has begun at last.

Having tucked my tired son into bed Pa and I had a late breakfast of pancakes with lemon and sugar after which I made a big batch of potato cakes with the mashed potato left over from last nights disastrous dinner. These will make a lovely breakfast tomorrow to start the week off. With the washing up done I bit the bullet and tackled the ironing mountain, determined this time finish the lot, and there really was....a lot!

Two hours later, tired but flushed with success I had ironed almost all of the huge pile, I had relieved my feelings by saying a rude word to every T shirt,pair of jeans and track suit. All that was left were a few of my summer shirts and since I needed to begin tonight dinner I thought it fit to ignore these, for now!

The boys had asked for Toad in the Hole for dinner and I was happy to oblige. I made the batter this morning and so it took no time at all to complete the dish.
I have now finished decorating the kitchen now and very festive it looks with its streamers and baubles,later we will bring in some holly and ivy for the table and for vases around the house.

The cat Twiggy is entranced by all the coloured lights and shiny baubles and is convinced that it is all for her especial benefit, she is very territorial about the tree and actually as a hissy fit whenever anyone gets too close. I am much happier now the ironing is done and can commence the final preparations for Christmas with a good conscience.

Today is my mothers birthday and I would give any thing to be able to give her a huge hug, as I cannot I have sent her a fleece lounging suit to cuddle her and keep her cosy in the cold weather. She sounded cheerful when I called her tonight and has my brothers close at hand to look after her.

Now that the days work is done I shall relax with a coffee and perhaps I shall put in a shot of rum, yes that sounds like a good way to end a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment